Mac Desktops forum

Question

HELP! EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ISSUES

by FCBROWN247 / October 11, 2013 1:06 AM PDT

EQPT:
1TB WD Elements micro usb External hard drive, about 3 years old, well used.

PROBLEM:
iMac Intel OSX, EXHD won't appear on desktop, was fine until a couple of days ago, micro usb socket seems a little loose.

- Won't mount to computer.
- asked to "initialize, ignore, eject" when plugged in
- shows in disk utility as hard drive only (factory name not name given)
- No sub volume listed, so can't run disk repair or verify, won't eject (i guess because it doesn't mount)

The hardrive light is on, the drive vibrates/ starts up as normal and dies down when i choose eject.

SOLUTIONS TRIED:
- New cable - SAME THING
- Different Mac x 2- SAME THING

I can't remember if I formatted it as Journeled/ Fat 32 etc... I think it was formatted for mac use only.

I haven't connected it to my PC yet as i'm worried it might format it.

I've read online you CAN'T take this model out of the casing and stick it in a HD dock because of parts soldered to it.

I'm going to run disk warrior and 3 , but don't expect it to help as I have no volume listed.

I have nearly 1GB of data I DESPERATELY need back, but have made my peace with it being gone at this point if need be.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ISSUES
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ISSUES
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
About the format worry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2013 1:10 AM PDT

It will only format it if you answer yes to that question.

There are many fine free tools in the CNET Storage forum sticky but if there is a hardware issue I take the drive out of the enclosure and put it in a new enclosure or directly into some desktop to CLONE the drive then try recovery on the CLONE.

I find this is a test if the client is serious about recovery. That is, is it worth getting a second 1TB drive to hold the clone to do the work on?
Bob

Collapse -
PS. About your claim it can't be taken apart.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2013 1:18 AM PDT

So far, not one drive of the hundreds I've dealt with has been soldered on. All have a plug board to unplug from the raw drive. I can imagine a beginner to give up at their first attempt but the seasoned folk won't stop here.
Bob

Collapse -
Here's a picture
by FCBROWN247 / October 11, 2013 1:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
I didn't see the rest of the drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2013 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's a picture

It's possible that they do have a special model but all this means is that backups are getting more important.

If you can't do recovery, cloning yourself, nod to http://www.drivesavers.com

Sorry about all this but I'm not there to get the full details, look at the drive in person so let's hope it turns out for the best.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.