Question

HELP! EMTA device needed for Comcast Triple Play?

I have just signed up for Comcast Triple Play to be installed next week. They charge $7/mo. for cable/telephony modem. Comcast rep. told me that to avoid the monthly charge I can buy an EMTA device (cable and telephony combined?). I looked at compatible modems on their website (http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/) but some say cable modem some say telephony modem some say cable modem w/ embedded MTA and I am confused. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a modem and am not interested in wireless. I just need DOCSIS 2.0 or above and something that handles both my internet and phone. Any help appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HELP! EMTA device needed for Comcast Triple Play?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HELP! EMTA device needed for Comcast Triple Play?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Example?
- Collapse -
Answer
to my knowledge

You need to check with the LOCAL region to be sure they support user owned etma's, not all do and phone reps may not be in your region. Only bets buy sold arris TM722's are supported in the areas that do offer user owned emta's. Comcast may also sell you their emta's with a warranty, ask a rep about that. For now I recommend just using theirs until you get it installed, working and ready to go, would suck to go out spend over $100 then decide you do not want the service because of special installation requirements or something.

Following is an old list of stores in on this deal when it started it may not be an accurate list today.
http://www.arrisi.com/consumer/_docs/ARRIS_Modems_Comcast_Xfinity_Best_Buy.pdf

- Collapse -
An example.

When I moved, Comcast failed to pick up the EMTA and I was out of time to deliver the unit. It cost 150 bucks. That was 2010.
Bob

- Collapse -
That's not the same thing

They charged you for equipment you LOST, not bought to use on their network that device will be on a do not use list.

- Collapse -
Didn't lose it.

I gave the short story to share the price. In the end Comcast refunded the money due to their error and the new owner is now using the modem without the rental fee.

Sorry for not sharing the long story.
Bob

- Collapse -
similar situation

I have a decent user owned modem w/ wifi that's less than a year old and just recently added Xfinity voice to my plan. The modem is not equipped for voice service. Is there some kind of equipment I can purchase to handle the phone side of the service, only, without having to get a new $200 eMTA modem for everything?

- Collapse -
Why buy it?

Even at the 10 buck (mine was less) a month rental that can with a warranty you can't get. That is, since it was their gear any lightning strike or failure would be theirs to fix. Why own this one?
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
There is the cable modem or telephony modem,

which I think should be free of monthly charge (with Time Warner, that's what I have). Of course I don't know how Comcast handle this. Apparently, there will be a $7/month if you are using the modem with EMTA. It's your choice, 2 modem or just one.

- Collapse -
Answer
EMTA and Comcast

I am in zip 60174 and was told by comcast sales representative that user owned EMTA was ok and suggested Arris model. Later, at time of installation on 3/17/2014, installer called his provisioning person and they said I could not use my own EMTA so installer was forced to use a Comcast lease EMTA (Arris TM722G). Guess what EMTA I had acquired and was available at the time of install - Arris TM722G!

Later the same day of install, I called comcast and finally got to a tech representative who said he was not sure why I was told I could not use my own EMTA. He added the CMAC address of my EMTA to my account and then re-provisioned my owned EMTA. It connected fine and internet was up and running. I had to call a different automated number to re-provision the phone service since the CMAC had changed. Now phone, TV and internet are up and running with my owned EMTA. Had to talk with another representative to change billing, remove the $8 month rental charge for a comcast leased EMTA. I bought my used (I think) EMTA over internet and it is working just like the leased unit.

Bottom line: it was a hassle but in the end comcast allowed my owned EMTA to be used.
March 17, 2014

I hope this may assist others on this issue.

CNET Forums