PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Help! ECS KT-600A and Athlon XP 1600+

Hi,

I use an ECS KT-600A Pro mainboard with an Athlon XP 1600+ processor and my problem is I can't get the system to detect the processor correctly. The system will start ONLY when the FSB is set to 100MHZ (causing the board to detect a 950MHZ AMD). I set the jumpers to 133MHZ FSB, and I hit the power button, all I get is a power and hdd light but nothing happens. I have a giant heatsink and fan so I wouldn't imagine it's overheating... I have the latest BIOS from ECS and I have tried to get ahold of their support people but they are horrible.. any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Chris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! ECS KT-600A and Athlon XP 1600+
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! ECS KT-600A and Athlon XP 1600+
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where's the rest of the system?

In reply to: Help! ECS KT-600A and Athlon XP 1600+

Some put in a new board/CPU but have an tired old or small power supply. So little details making a guess a guess. My guess is your RAM is incompatible or the power supply isn't suitable to the task.

Bob

Collapse -
Do you have PC133 memory???

If you do, it sounds as if the memory really doesn't run at 133 MHz.

Does you BIOS allow setting the memory speed manually?? If so try increasing it one 1 MHz at a time.

If Spread Spectrum is Enabled, disable it.

I had a 1700+ on an ASUS K7V133 mobo and couldn't run better that 129 MHz.

That vintage mobo was probably made well before that speed CPU, so the mfr couldn't actually test a production design.

The other thing is that there may be a BIOS update that would fix the problem.

At boot, does it show the proper CPU type???

Collapse -
Sorry, got this thread mixed up

In reply to: Do you have PC133 memory???

with dweezill's. He had the ECS K7S5A.

That used either SDRAM or DDR SDRAM.

Collapse -
re: pc133 memory

In reply to: Do you have PC133 memory???

I have 256mb of DDR 266mhz. I have the latest bios from ECS and this is actually a replacement processor for the one I had before which was either a 1600+ or an 1800+ I can't remember. At boot it does NOT show the correct CPU type.. it shows ''Amd 950mhz'' and it should show ''AMD ATHLON XP 1600+''. I know the FSB needs to be set at 133 for it to detect a 1600+ but the system will not boot when I change the jumpers. My hunch is that it could possibly be the power supply because it's only 300 WATT and it's a couple years old.. I'm going to try to get a new one today. If that doesn't work I'm lost as to what it could be.

Collapse -
The ECS KT-600a uses DDR ram

If you are inputing 133, that would be for 2100 ram(133x2=266). 166 is for 2700 and 200 for 3200. What do you have? chuck

Collapse -
ECS KT-600A and Athlon XP 1600+

Somewhere in the book for the MB, it talks about a jumper for the frontside buss speed. You have to change this jumper. John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!