Linux forum

General discussion

Help Dual booting XP and Ubuntu

Need help dual booting Ubuntu 8.04 with windows XP. System is a Dell Intel Pentium 3 with 256 MB of Ram running sp2; it was previously upgraded from Windows 2000 and cleaned out by the original owner. I have an Ubuntu distro cd but when I try to boot from that cd to run the Ubuntu installer like instructed on the Ubuntu website, it just goes right into XP. I set the BIOS to boot from the CD drive first but the same thing happens. What could be causing this problem? Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help Dual booting XP and Ubuntu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help Dual booting XP and Ubuntu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"try to boot from that cd to run the Ubuntu installer

In reply to: Help Dual booting XP and Ubuntu

"try to boot from that cd to run the Ubuntu installer"...

This is caused by just a few things.

1. The CD was not made correctly. Tell others exactly how it was made.
2. The CD drive lens is dirty. Fix? Clean it.
3. The CD drive has aged and lost the ability to boot. Fix? Replace the drive.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you but...

In reply to: "try to boot from that cd to run the Ubuntu installer

Someone made the CD in question for me, perhaps they made it incorrectly. However, I have also tried to run Ubuntu 6.06 which I received with a book on Ubuntu. The result was no different from the first CD. I will check on the drive, but could you recommend a way to clean the drive lens? Thank you.

Collapse -
Try...

In reply to: Thank you but...

Type CD LENS CLEANER on google.

Collapse -
hmm...

In reply to: Try...

Sorry for the dumb question, but how would I tell if the drive was defective? It plays CD's fine, but this is really stumping me. Thanks again Happy

Collapse -
It's a zombie.

In reply to: hmm...

But only half dead. It's an issue that wipes out many from fixing it. The drive works for the most part. To test we swap the drive out.

Collapse -
Thanks for your help

In reply to: It's a zombie.

I've heard of some distros coming on USB drives; if it is the drive I might consider going that route. Thanks!

Collapse -
You have a XP bootable cd/dvd?

In reply to: hmm...

try that to test the boot ability of the cd drive. If that doesn't work then double check your boot sequence setting.

Collapse -
Alas, I do not.

In reply to: You have a XP bootable cd/dvd?

This is an older machine which was given for free by a friend; I don't have an of the original stuff. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Collapse -
Did you prepare the drive for another OS?

In reply to: Alas, I do not.

Did you use a tool such as GParted, Knoppix, Fedora Live, or Ubuntu Live to resize the NTFS/FAT partition to allow room for / and swap?
If you are still having trouble there is an option that comes from slackware which allows you to install without any media.
http://www.slackware.com Go to install help and FAQ and there will be a section on installing from an image.

Collapse -
Thanks;I did not use those tools.

In reply to: Did you prepare the drive for another OS?

Do I need to do that? There is barely anything on the Win XP partition and I was unaware that I needed to resize it. I'm going to check out slackware though.

Collapse -
If the computer cannot boot from a cd, then...

In reply to: Alas, I do not.

You need a bootable floppy disc. Sorry I can't tell you how; it has been a long time since I have done that.

Collapse -
Installing Ubuntu : The easy way

Just search on Download.com for "Wubi". It will install Ubuntu automatically for you, without any problems. There is no bootable cd required.

You could try that one out.

Collapse -
forgot to add something

In reply to: Installing Ubuntu : The easy way

I have a dual boot with Windows XP and Ubuntu and I haven't had any issues with it.

With Wubi you don't need to worry about partitioning and stuff. But you could make a partition yourself first and install it on that partition.

I had an empty partition on my old harddrive, which I recovered from my old desktop. I used that to install Ubuntu on, just select the partition that you created and fill in a username and password and hit "Install".

There is really nothing much to it. It's quite easy to do it.

Collapse -
Wow!

In reply to: forgot to add something

Thank you very much, I will certainly try that. It's tough working with second hand hardware because you never know what works and what doesn't Wink
Thanks again!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No problem, glad to have helped you

In reply to: Wow!

Collapse -
it's simple really

Use an easy app called wubi (windows ubuntu installer)
it does all the hard stuff for you without compromising the windows installation.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.