Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

HELP - Downgrade from XP to Vista on Gateway

by sc298 / August 19, 2007 1:51 AM PDT

I know there are many posts on just this subject and I have read and tried to follow suggestions but I am coming up empty on finding drivers for this device through Gateway and searching via Google, etc. Gateway only shows Vista related drivers for the modem, motherboard, sound, touchpad, and video when I look for XP drivers for my device (detailed below). I am not tech savy enough to know if other drivers are compatiable or not. I do have my computer guru coming over at a later date to help with the (clean) installation of XP but I am trying to save some time and money by downloading the drivers that will enable me to load my newly bought Windows XP HE onto this computer. Any suggestions on where (websites, etc.) to find these drivers, what to look for, or anything else of relevance will be very helpfull. The Vista was already installed and did not come with a CD. Thanks!

I bought a Model: Gateway MT3422 Notebook with Windows Vista HP

Motherboard
4001189R - Motherboard w/NVIDIA C51MV w/o 1394 (FRU)
Hard Drives
2528003R - 160-GB 5400-RPM Ultra ATA Hard Drive Assembly (CRU/EURP)
Modems
6002963R - 56K V.92 Fax/Modem (FRU)
Video
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP - Downgrade from XP to Vista on Gateway
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP - Downgrade from XP to Vista on Gateway
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Downgrade to XP from Vista
by Izy / August 19, 2007 8:04 AM PDT

I have an HP a6112n that I bought a month ago. I hate it!

I emailed HP for an XP recovery disk or a list of drivers to go back but I haven't heard from them.

I give up. I am going to buy another computer with XP. I will wrap this one up and put it away until Microsoft and HP can find a way to make thier customers happy. If they even care?

I am forced to accept my new computer with Vista as just a loss. Good luck to the rest of you.

Charlie

Collapse -
Charlie
by YankeesNYwins / August 20, 2007 1:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
NO HELP NEEDED - I RETURNED IT
by sc298 / August 19, 2007 9:57 AM PDT

I decided after reading the extremely high number of posts regarding people that were not happy with their computers w/Vista OS to return it while I could and have a Dell built with XP. Although I had to pay a 15% restock fee it still cost less considering I had to buy a new version of XP to load. Thanks but I wont need any help figuring the problem out....

Collapse -
no help needed - i returned it
by cnet74 / August 19, 2007 11:58 AM PDT

Now that you are happier, I congratulate you. And i definitely emphatize with that 15% restocking fee, more than a hundred bucks and just for opening it up. (If the store is Best Buy, this is not really good: Did not the store just bypass the satisfaction warranty of the manufacturer? Are'nt you permitted to "test drive" your computer? If Best Buy will have many customers who would pay the merchandize, and then upon looking at the receipt they "find" 15% restocking fee, then just have the sale rescinded because it does not give customers time to find out whether the computer fits their needs, hopefully Best Buy realizes this onerous burden it imposes upon its customers. For this restocking issue, I have stopped shopping with Best Buy).

Anyways, that Gateway computer has so many proprietary programs in there, and so many games, and so many trial programs. The computer is sluggish, yeah?

I still have my Vista Premium Edition Gateway MT6711(a $799 that I bought for $499), removed all the games, thinned out the software pool, upgraded the memory to 2GB, added a USB 8GB booster travel disk, and boosted another 2GB SD memory card - it works fast now! Even after installing the Ubuntu 6.10 Linux in a virtual box, with 1024GB of memory and 10GB of hard disk allocated to the virtual box.

I will also replace the 5400 RPM 160GB hard disk with 7200 RPM or even with 10000RPM (this last one is fast, but I doubt that there's one for a laptop - anyone knows?) when I got enough $.

Collapse -
Return Policies
by natrinicle / September 12, 2007 9:09 AM PDT

The reason that stores such as Best Buy and Circuit City charge a restocking fee is that they have to resell any computer that they receive back. Normally this means that they have to discount the computer from the original sale price, which means a loss for the company. The restocking fee was designed to eliminate people buying a computer or television, using it for a week, and then returning it to the store for essentially a free rental. This restocking fee in no way bypasses the satisfaction warranty of the manufacturer as you can still send the unit to the manufacturer for repair. Also in many stores such as these you can return the laptop within 14-30 days for store credit if the unit is actually damaged. Just be warned that when you attempt to return the laptop, they might run a few tests on the unit and will not return it if you damaged it(not manufacturer's defect) or if there is nothing wrong with it. Expect this to take a few hours if they do decide to test the unit.
Also they have computers set up as displays just so that you can determine if the unit will fill your needs. Many times the store will allow you to test a piece of software on their display provided you remove it afterwards(small sidenotes: you may have to have a tech watch over your shoulder while you do this, don't install anything illegally, and sometimes the store will not allow it).
As for the games and spare software the best thing I can recommend for a Gateway computer is to boot into Vista, make the application recovery disc(if you can't figure out how the store can usually make one for you fairly cheeply), and nuke the computer with the other recovery disc included in the manuals bag. After the computer has been reloaded you can put in the app disc and selectivly choose which drivers and applications you actually want on your computer. This eliminates any traces of the trials and makes your computer faster and more stable.
Just so you know, I am not employed at any retail technology store currently and am not on their side, but I wondered myself about these policies and asked some questions.

Collapse -
Sept 2009 and Vista still sucks
by dorkazoid2 / September 30, 2009 2:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Return Policies

But of course Microsoft knows that.

Problem is Windows 7 did not fix many of the Vista problems.

Anybody have an xp restore disk for the Gateway ML-3109 I can buy?

Collapse -
Did you look for it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2009 9:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
I'll admit that Vista...
by Travis2k7 / September 12, 2007 11:40 AM PDT

hasn't been a 100% smooth OS for me since I got my new PC a few days ago... I've had a few programs that wouldn't install without compatibility mode, I've have slow file copy (a issue that is supposed to be addressed in SP1) and random freeze ups...

Is it annoying? Sure. However, I don't remember XP smelling like roses when it came out so I'm going to give Vista a chance and wait for the SP before I go buy a copy of XP.

Right now I give Vista 7.5 out of 10. I really like it but it does need some work.

Collapse -
The drivers are out there.
by YankeesNYwins / August 20, 2007 1:04 AM PDT

Find them.

Collapse -
Works good with Windows XP and minor issues
by ibn_turab / September 23, 2007 1:10 PM PDT

I too have the Gateway mt3422. I was tired of the slowness with vista so I formated and installed xp home. The installation went about very quick [to my surprise --- 30 minutes tops]. After it installed, the computer boots really quick. But Then i was faced with the problem that i didn't have sound and my wireless card was not working. I googled the internet and i found someone who was kind enough to have collected some of essential drivers for his gateway ML3109. I installed a couple of those drivers and I got the wifi to work as well as sound. I went to nvidia and downloaded the the latest video card drivers for the go 6100 video. I also downloaded the drivers from amd for the the athlon 64 x2.

All in all, its works great and is a fast laptop. However, it still has some quirks. For instance, I can't put the laptop to sleep. Also, the ethernet port is not working because i haven't found a suitable driver .

I personally like linux but have not been able to get the wifi or sound to work with ubuntu or pclinuxos.

Collapse -
I have an ML3109 that I also just downgraded
by fisherv / September 29, 2007 12:50 AM PDT

And now I'm looking for the NIC and sound card drivers. Can you point me to the person who had collected those drivers? You can't believe the difference in the performance with XP ... that system was NOT designed to run Vista no matter how many hardware upgrades you install! Gateway will not support XP any longer ...

Collapse -
Win XP drivers for Gateway MT3422
by drexlar / November 8, 2007 4:52 AM PST

HI
The wireless driver (Realtek RTL8185 PCI&BusCard Wireless) for the Gateway MT3422 can be downloaded from:

http://152.104.125.41/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=1&PFid=1&Level=6&Conn=5&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false&Downloads=true#RTL8185L
Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter

To get the sound works properly (and also the modem) you have to install first the Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) Bus Driver for High Definition Audio (sp32646), which can be downloaded from:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&swItem=ob-45958-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Then you can install the sound driver, which is the SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec. The driver file is thr D00583-003-001.exe and can be downloaded from:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?param=sigmatel&st=kw

For the modem:
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?st=pn&param=1009096
Agere Systems HDA Modem
D00505-002-002.exe

I hope this can help you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!