HolidayBuyer's Guide

Cameras forum

General discussion

Help - digital photo frame recommendations

by Lusitanic / July 9, 2009 1:30 AM PDT

I'd like to purchase a digital photo frame for my mother-in-law, so that we can easily share digital photos with her. She lives far away, and is not tech savvy (but she has a wireless network setup at her house thanks to us), and we only get to visit her maybe once a year.

Here's what I need in a photo frame:

(1) wireless connectivity
(2) ability to remotely upload photos (ideally via both web and email) that the frame will AUTOMATICALLY pick up and display new photos
(3) ideally the frame would automatically do a slide-show through the most recent photos
(4) total "hands off" operation, once it's configured (the idea is that we'd go there and set it up, and then simply send her photos via email or via some web interface, and she wouldn't need to do even touch the thing, it would do everything else on its own)
(5) ideally it would also have a power adapter so that it could run on European voltage with the use of a simple plug adaptor

We don't need (or want to pay for) any more bells and whistles, so the more simple, the better.

It seems like there are a lot of choices out there. One that I thought would work is the eStarling Impact7 or Impact8, but they don't seem to be available anymore.

The others I've seen, it's not clear that they automatically update their photos (as opposed to requiring some user-initiated download) or that you can email photos to the frame.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help - digital photo frame recommendations
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help - digital photo frame recommendations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try Ceiva photo frame
by hjfok / July 9, 2009 6:05 AM PDT

you can google Ceiva or go to their website ceiva.com to see whether this is what you're looking for.

Collapse -
re ceiva
by Lusitanic / July 9, 2009 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: try Ceiva photo frame

re: Ceiva

Thanks for the suggestion, but Ceiva won't work in Europe. (Another family member in the U.S. has Ceiva, and it works well, but they unfortunately won't work in this case).

I found some more reviews online, and I think I'm going to give this one a try:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=654

(D-Link DSM-210 wireless digital photo frame)

It seems like once I get it setup it would be pretty hands off, and that we could control the photos remotely.

Collapse -
CEIVA will work via WiFi conncetion in Europe!
by CeivaJoe / July 14, 2009 2:38 AM PDT

If you just want to manage picture delivery via a WiFi connection then Ceiva will work wonderfully.

Please know that we do have a UK model comes with a 110/220V EU plug type adapter and a UK plug converter.

Using WiFi connectivity the frame would "dial out" over the net to a CEIVA Picture Plan account that you would manage. You could update the online photo account daily and the frame would then update daily. Basically this is what we are known for. This is the service we have been providing for 9 years now.

In fact you could set up other family members as Guests to send pictures to her frame also? from ANYWHERE in the world. Ultimately you can choose/monitor who and what is sent to her frame.
Also you and the frames guests would have access to our Photo Customizer... which is our photo editing software that is part of a Ceiva Picture Plan

You have TONS of options with CEIVA Digital Frame.

If you have any questions or are interested in the UK version... feel free to email me at CeivaJoe @ Ceiva dot com.

CeivaJoe

Collapse -
Recommendations only
by vijendrasnv / July 14, 2009 9:35 PM PDT

Hi,Lusitanic
I think there are various resources available where you can get the best product for your digital photo frame as per your requirement.
So just go through on Google and get all the information for such type of photo frame.
Thanks.

Collapse -
Digital wireless picture frame for transatlantic relatives
by Lusitanic / July 22, 2009 1:28 AM PDT

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Note: I have done my own research using Google and CNET and other sites, but it's often difficult to determine exactly how these wireless photo frames work. For example, I want something that will be completely "hands off" once it's setup, I don't want my mother-in-law to need to use a little remote to refresh the frame with new photos, etc. Also, I need to be able to use a plug adaptor for European voltage (220v). These are things that are hard to determine when reading some of the online reviews for various frames out there.

Anyway, unfortunately it seems that the D-Link DSM-210 wireless digital photo frame is NOT compatible with the common EU 220volt system. So this option may not work and it's back to the drawing board for finding a suitable device.

CeivaJoe -- thanks for your reply about Ceiva. I would have gone with a Ceiva frame/plan long ago if they got their act together and setup a service in the countries I need (Spain, Portugal, Italy, etc.) but for whatever reason they have not made the investment. I would be OK with paying for the Ceiva subscription if it were a stand-alone device (i.e., one that uses the phone line, like the one my family here in the USA has). But for a device that piggybacks on an existing internet connection (which costs $) I don't want to pay Ceiva's ongoing service charges, I just don't think it's worth it. (In other words, these family members in Europe would not otherwise need a high-speed internet connection with a wi-fi network, but I'm willing to set one up, and pay for it, in order for the photo frame thing to work ... but I don't want to pay for another Ceiva service on top of that ... I'd pay for Ceiva if it didn't require anything other than a phone line, but sadly, that's not an option in the EU at this point.)

I'll keep looking, if/when I find anything I'll update this thread in case others are out there looking for the same thing.

Collapse -
Ceiva may be an option
by Lusitanic / July 22, 2009 3:12 AM PDT

Joe - I just found out that the relatives I'm interested in setting up with a digital photo frame already have a high-speed internet setup with wireless, so Ceiva may be an option. I'll ping you for some more details. Thanks.

Collapse -
digital photo frame
by jainbhawna12 / September 3, 2009 7:32 PM PDT

hi can suggest u to look a site that one have many digital photo frame so u can choose ur self ..
www.grandmicro.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.