Computer Help forum

Question

Help! Desktop Problem

by windowssonic / July 25, 2013 2:22 AM PDT

Hello, and thank you for viewing my forum.
I need some help here. I have a custom desktop computer that i was going to sell, but however this problem got in the way, and last minute, too. Basically, i wanted to take the CPU cooler out of the socket so i could see what CPU it had. I was never sure because on the BIOS it always said "Unknown AMD Processor". Turns out it was a AMD Sempron 2800+, but now, the CPU cooler will not come back on. I have fiddled with it for a long time, but it just never wants t come on. Im pretty sure it is a AM2 Socket, if not, AM2+. I am more familiar with Intel Processor Coolers and that's most likely why im having this problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Windowssonic

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Desktop Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Desktop Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Which CPU?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2013 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Help! Desktop Problem
Collapse -
Re : Which CPU?
by windowssonic / July 25, 2013 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Which CPU?

I did not do this operation while it was turned on, to the fact that yes, i know what happens, and I have watched the video. What i want to know is, why is the CPU Cooler not coming back on? There are two pieces of metal that secure the CPU Cooler in place further, mine is kinda like this one:
http://hpparts.us/images/itwinkle_2152_65370141.jpg
However, it is not a ASUS, therefore, ignore the branding. I'm just using this AM2+ Socket CPU Cooler to give you a better feel of what is currently going on. If you notice in the picture, that there is a security lever, if you will, that secures the CPU Cooler in place, in addition to the screws. There is also another one on the other side (not seen in the picture). The problem is, they do not match up. One is longer than the other, and that is a problem, because it is all one piece of aluminum. The problem is not lining it up, but putting it in place. If another one gets on the security socket (you know, where the piece of aluminum attaches, resulting in a tight, correctly placed CPU Cooler.) but with that one in place, the other one is too long, making it so it cannot attach to were it should be placed. See my problem now?

Collapse -
For a cooler to not come on
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2013 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Re : Which CPU?

There is no power to it or it has failed. Given only these 2 possible answers, you could dismiss one with a Volt meter (if you are a tech, you have one) and if you use another power source you can test the cooler that way.

Again, the exposed core version is prone to not only the issue I noted but the core does tend to crack with heavy heat sinks. Again, another reason why the shop won't touch a system with this CPU. And swapping in a new CPU and board is rarely economical.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.