Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

Help Desktop/Notebook

by wolvngelz / May 18, 2005 6:29 AM PDT

Hi,

Going to start College soon, with a laptop i think it will help me out. But, I am a constant gamer and require power from my system.

I looked up some Desktop Replacements and actually found one which suits me.

The main problem is, I use my PC to download a lot, and usually overnight while i sleep. Am I able to do that with a laptop without getting it overheated?
I saw the discussion abt the same problem with people asking to hibernate after 1 hour, but that would restrict me from my downloading as i sleep.

Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help Desktop/Notebook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help Desktop/Notebook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well discussed. Findings?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2005 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Help Desktop/Notebook

Gamers don't like laptops.

Collapse -
bad idea
by keybordp / May 18, 2005 12:05 PM PDT

you can play games some on a laptop, but if that is your SOLE purpose for getting the computer than you will end up VERY frusterated, unless you are very rich. If you had endless money you could buy the newest XPS every 6-12 months and you would probably be quite happy. If you can, get yourself a desktop (build it yourself). I want to be able to play SOME games and have ordered a Dell Latitude D810, I know its not a gaming machine ,and I'm not buying it just for games. Desktops are ALWAYS Faster, cheaper, more reliable, and all around better. The only problem is that they are big and non-portable.

Collapse -
Thx for feedback
by wolvngelz / May 19, 2005 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: bad idea

Hi again,

My findings : i'm still confused.
Bottom line : I hate laptops too.

Thing is i found a suitable laptop, Dell Inspiron 9300 fitted with GeForce 6800.
My main concern is still the heat factor, I have no experience with laptops.

Also, No i'm not rich, i can't afford the XPS Gen 2. I'ts a heck of a machine though. The option of building my own desktop is defenitely a good idea which i've recurringly have. But, if I go for presentations or other things, then i'll have to borrow students laptops or school PC's.
Also i'd like something to use when im on the move. Which might happen a lot.

The other option is to get those Shuttles or Cube PC's/Mini PC's whatever you call 'em. That's portable but then again.......... no monitor!

Collapse -
About heat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Thx for feedback

What I used to do when I had nothing but a laptop was to use that laptop's INTEL SPEEDSTEP tool to slow the machine down. Even in battery mode, the machine performed super and didn't get warm at all.

On top of that, if you configure the machine to not run screensavers and just blank the screen, power draw is reduced enormously.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Intel Speedstep?
by wolvngelz / May 19, 2005 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: About heat.

Very interesting, can you tell me more about that? Where can i get it? I have no idea what it is. A Program? Hardware? If possible link me even. Sorry for the clueless-ness.

So could you run your laptop for days and days without switching off?

Collapse -
Do a little research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Intel Speedstep?

Try that term at google.com No need for me to tell you what this is.

However, you could ask the company selling you this new machine if your new laptop has such a program. If they won't talk about it, shop elsewhere.

Bob

Collapse -
Thx
by wolvngelz / May 19, 2005 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Do a little research.

For all the help. Appreciate it.

Collapse -
Btw......
by wolvngelz / May 19, 2005 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Thx

I didn't get the reply on running continuosly for days.
I hope you're not talking about wake up, switch on, speedstep, come home use laptop and switch off before sleep.

Collapse -
Just sharing...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2005 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Btw......

My older laptop could run fine for weeks in either fast or slow mode. It was never an issue. As far as I know my new laptop does as well.

I shared the issue about a screen saver (dumb things really.) And how to ask it to power off the screen. Big easy power and heat savings.

Try it now?

Bob

Collapse -
Can't try it atm
by wolvngelz / May 19, 2005 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing...

As i have not bought the Dell I9.3k
I'm considering it but had to find out a few things before spending that sort of cash.
Thanks for all the help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!