Computer Help forum

General discussion

HELP...Deploying US Military...with Computer Problems

by shackc / September 2, 2012 2:26 PM PDT

I am departing soon and would desperately like to my laptop with me when I go. Here's a quick summary if any one wishes to have mercy on my soul and lend a helping hand:

THE PROBLEM
- The black screen of death. I can turn on the computer (a DELL INSPIRON E1405) and see the DELL Logo and the Windows logo....then nothingness. Just a black screen...no cursor, no nothing.

THINGS I'VE TRIED
- Rebooting...alot! No luck...blackness
- Tried re-installing WINDOWS VISTA by booting from the CD...it read " Windows is Loading Files"...and then it goes to blackness...nothing. No dice.
- I know zippy about comptuers...but it seems like I have two options, F2 or F12 from that startup screen...I've tried both...and can get that far.

Any advice on how to possibly save this computer? Is it dead and should I toss in the Atlantic ocean on my way overseas? Im starting to wonder if I even have the right VISTA CD anymore. Penny for anyone's thoughts...

Thanks a ton. Shack

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP...Deploying US Military...with Computer Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP...Deploying US Military...with Computer Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Presuming the re-installation is an attempt to return
by Steven Haninger / September 2, 2012 10:11 PM PDT

the laptop to factory condition, I'd think you may have anything from a simple overheating issue to a hardware failure. After cleaning out the vent ports with compressed air, I'd try to run memory and hard drive testing software. Knowing the HD manufacturer would be good as most offer both destructive and non-destructive utilities to analyze the hard drive's electronic and magnetic components. Memtest86, available as a bootable .iso, can find RAM issues that BIOS checks miss. With these three items. Good luck.

Collapse -
Some checks...
by Willy / September 2, 2012 11:28 PM PDT

It seems you have an older laptop, so cleaning it out is going to have to be done if not already. Disassemble abit if need be, I think the E1405 allows some of that to be done. Also, next time it happens, place a flashlight across the screen at an angle, do you see any of the display(weak) text, etc.. If YES, then you have a bad backlight or invertor PCB., if you have time and money, fix it. If still no text appears(though weak) it has a mtrbd. or h/w failure either because of heat damage or the cpu is petered out, re-apply fresh thermal compound to cpu after cleaning area, etc.. and check results. if none of this works, then pitch it, NOT in the ocean as i like to eat fish. Dell buys back or recycling such and maybe a credit to new PC. if you have time, order a new laptop or pick one up on your way.

tada -----Willy Happy USMC

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.