Computer Help forum

Question

help deciding which laptop to buy for architecture

by louaygh / August 31, 2014 7:31 AM PDT

hello,
im searching for an new laptop that can handle heavy rendering, CAD, 3D MAX and potoshop. At the same time i dont want any of the bulky heave workstations so i am interrested in the
MSI WS60 http://us.msi.com/product/workstation/WS60.html
Dell percision M3800 http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m3800-workstation/fs
Dell XPS 15 http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15-9530/pd
MSI GS 60 http://usgaming.msi.com/Product/2014/Notebook/GS60-Ghost/
(the links are only to show which laptops i am talking about, the price is according to the specs)
Im also concerned about the price. I was hoping for some advice in order to pick the best laptop for the best price and mobility. I care about speed (SSD) RAMs (8 and above) Processor (Intel 4th generation i7) Graphic card(minimum 2GB) and of course the price (less than 2000$ if possible in NYC)
If there are other suggestions of laptops please let me know Im not fixed on these options.
thank you.
L

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help deciding which laptop to buy for architecture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help deciding which laptop to buy for architecture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Frankly?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2014 7:34 AM PDT

Get a look at TOP 10 lists at Cnet, Notebookcheck and (gasp) best sellers at Amazon.

Also, forget the heavy requirement you listed. You are asking for a desktop in laptop form to run CPU and GPU heavy apps. You either live with laptop performance or you add a little weight and get the performance.

The Lenovo y50 looks nice too and it's close to 1,000 than 2,000.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
First mistake
by Jimmy Greystone / August 31, 2014 10:15 AM PDT

First mistake is looking for a laptop to do a desktop's job. Laptops are not good platforms for this sort of work, so unless you're like a traveling architect who essentially lives in airports and hotels, I'd strongly suggest giving this a good long hard rethink.

Collapse -
clarification
by louaygh / August 31, 2014 3:10 PM PDT
In reply to: First mistake

Thanks for your advice guys but I just want the closest results possible for a desktop. The desktop ks a must but I want a laptop that can be easily moved and have a good performance, in addition to the desktop. You can take a look at the links I have posted earlier in the original message to know what im talking about. You can tell me what you guys think of those. Thank you

Collapse -
See the top 10 list of gaming laptops
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2014 4:07 PM PDT
In reply to: clarification

At CNET, Notebookcheck, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
The reason I said to reconsider
by Jimmy Greystone / August 31, 2014 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: clarification

The reason I said to reconsider is that high end laptops like that tend not to last very long. The high end components will generate too much heat for such a small enclosed space and you'll be lucky if you make it 6 months before you need a motherboard replacement. As the laptop ages, the number of repairs needed will only increase in frequency.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?