General discussion

HELP DECIDING ON A LAPTOP

I do a lot of AVCHD video editing and I have narrowed my laptop choice down to 2 and cant decide which one to get:

1) 15" Macbook Pro
Intel Core i5
4 GB Memory
320 GB Hard Drive 5400rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB

2) 16.4" Vaio F Series
Intel? Core? Quad i7-740QM processor
320 GB Hard Drive 7200 rpm
6 GB RAM
NVIDIA? GeForce? GT 425M GPU (1GB VRAM)

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HELP DECIDING ON A LAPTOP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HELP DECIDING ON A LAPTOP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not comparable.

One is so unlike the other that a comparison is not feasible.

For example, one can run Final Cut Pro HD and the other can't.

And if you know laptops, you don't want an i7 laptop unless it's used as a desktop.
Bob

- Collapse -
But...

will one of them be able to edit AVCHD more smoothly than the other?

- Collapse -
Mac

If i go with the Mac, will 4 gigs of RAM be enough to smoothly edit AVCHD?

- Collapse -
I think so.

But then again there are folk that won't agree. Here our machines are mostly 4GB machines. The one machine with 6GB doesn't seem to benefit highly from that extra 2GB.
Bob

- Collapse -
No. Here's why.

One machine is not like the other. To edit smoothly means we not only consider the machine but the APP. Final Cut Pro HD is one smooth editor and it doesn't run on the other machine.

If you want to edit SMOOTHLY I strongly advise against laptops.

Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

thanks for the response

CNET Forums

Forum Info