Computer Help forum

Alert

HELP!! computer running at 100% CPU.. freezing/crashing

about a week ago my laptop began to lag, within a day it had begun freezing/crashing.. I cant figure it out..

System Specs:
System Model: Compaq CQ58 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
System Model #: C2M29UA#ABA
Processor: AMD C-60 APU with Radeon HD Graphics, -----1000Mhz,
System Ram: (according to system properties) it says there is 8 GB installed
------with 4.96 physical memory available
(--EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE FOUND ONLINE SAYS THAT IT SHOULD ONLY BE 2 GIGS.. I HAVE NEVER PHYSICALLY UPDATED ANYTHING ON HERE... SO IM NOT SURE) CONFUSED

System Operating Software: Microsoft Windows 8
I DONT KNOW IF THIS COULD HAVE DONE ANYTHING BUT I HAD JUST UPGRADED TO 8.1 AND IT STARTED CRASHING MY PROGRAMS SO I DID A SYSTEM RECOVER... (THIS IS RIGHT ABOUT THE TIME THE COMPUTER STARTED ACTING UP)

ok so now that, that is out of the way, let me explain the problem.. basically the whole computer is messing up very bad.. im not a computer genius but I know enough to usually be able to get my computer working good.. but im stumped on this.. I have Malwarebytes PRO, SuperAntiSpyWare PRO, and Tune-Up Utilities 2014 PRO.. ( and does anyone know if TU.U 2014 will harm your computer or "secretly download ad ware) my comp seemed to act up when I purchased the program.. and I had to undo search.conduit already.. but back to the main problem.. basically everything.. it will disconnect from the internet by itself.. or will say limited connectivity. the BIG issue is that the computer almost always seems to be running at 100 CPU.. especially when IE is running. but it seems all my programs do run at an especially high CPU.. it used to stay around 50%.. I cant keep it below 90% for over 1 min. the internet is constantly crashing.. I have to close the IE browser every 10 min. on average because it cant recover from its error.. the computer is running/lagging worse than any computer ive ever owned.. sometimes I have trouble accessing sites on the "tab" section of IE.. it says not connected to IE when I clearly am.. this happens especially when accessing GOOGLE.COM... Idk why but that seems to be the most common site it happens to.. if I go to cmd and ping www.google.com (or he non working site) it usually will pop up.. but sometimes I have to completely restart the entire comp. to access the site.. I have never encountered this problem.. and I cant find anything on the similar problem.. I have virus scanned the computer in every way possible (just normal windows startup with internet/ W/O internet... safe mode with networking and without networking), I have done this with both malwarebytes and SUPERantiSPYWARE, both have failed to find anything at all.. not even an adware tracker.. which seems to be the most popular to pop up.. there is something messing with it in a big way.. and im getting the worst week long headache trying to figure it out.. im goin to keep trying until I figure it out.. if someone has ANY ADVICE AT ALL.. PLEASE HELP.. ANYTHING IS APPRECIATED.. and Im going to physically check the ram installed tonight.. if it is only 2 gigs. I have another 2 gig ram to put in it.. which should help.. but I just don't see how it could just be ram.. considering how fast all this started.. if you need any more info, just ask.. I will be checking messages constantly.. THANK YOU!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP!! computer running at 100% CPU.. freezing/crashing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP!! computer running at 100% CPU.. freezing/crashing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's a very slow CPU.

In reply to: HELP!! computer running at 100% CPU.. freezing/crashing

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-C-60-Notebook-Processor.51806.0.html gives us that it should have a high CPU use if not 100% for what most folk do. It might be OK out of the box but load up an antivirus and well, it will not be a happy experience. It will "work" but can test some folk's patience.

You could restore it to it's factory condition and add NOTHING to get back to that level of performance but this CPU is so bad that I will share we had one and we gifted it to a college student that had nothing. We warned them it was a dog.
Bob
Collapse -
Compaq CQ58

Just curious as to where you got this L/T, none of the specs for the CQ58 Compaq match what you have listed, it seems a bit odd.

Collapse -
specs

In reply to: Compaq CQ58

got all specs from computer info..

Collapse -
ODD

In reply to: specs

Seems odd, is this something that you purchased new? And what is the Operating system?

Collapse -
Odd

In reply to: specs

I saw in your spec list that the OS is Win 8, again, that seems odd, the model spec for a CQ58 Compaq shows a different OS, that's why I asked if you purchased this as a new system, things don't seem correct, either from hardware or software standpoints, citing a CQ58.

Collapse -
try one of these

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.