Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help! Computer Keeps Restarting!

by Tikuan / September 28, 2007 5:08 AM PDT

Hey everyone I'm new to these forums and came looking for help with my laptop. It all started Monday night when all of a sudden it turned off by itself and then turned back on like if I would of restarted it. At first I didn't mind, then I saw it kept on doing it over and over "restarting itself" most of the time it doesn't even reach the boot screen that says "Windows XP" it only shows the laptops splash screen that says "In Touch With Tomorrow - Toshiba" followed by an underscore "_" that blinks no more than 2 times then it automatically restarts itself again...

At first I though it was because it was overheating, but after a few attempts to go into safe mode I managed to get into safe mode and tried doing a virus scan, surprisingly the computer didn't turn off for over 24 hours "while in safe mode" which made me think it wasn't an overheating problem anymore, plus the computer wasn't heating up either. For my surprise the computer found a few Viruses/Trojans which I personally moved to chest and deleted two others, I though I had found what was causing my laptop to restart but when the thorough scan ended after a few hours I saw a list of all the stuff it had found but unfortunately my computer then restarted by itself again!!!

I have no idea what could be causing this problem, any ideas? could it be that it's still infected? any ideas?

Hope someone can help because I really need my computer more than ever right now that I'm taking some online classes on College.

Thanx In Advance!

Computer Specs:

Toshiba - Satellite
Windows XP
Intel Pentium M Processor 730 (1.60 GHz)
100 GB
512 MB DDR RAM

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Computer Keeps Restarting!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Computer Keeps Restarting!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
surprisingly the computer didn't turn off for over 24 hours
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2007 5:19 AM PDT

"surprisingly the computer didn't turn off for over 24 hours "while in safe mode" which made me think it wasn't an overheating problem"

This is not a good test. The CPU and other components are running slower than usual.

Tell me about your yearly cleaning of the vents, heatsinks and whether a laptop cooling pad helps.

Bob

Collapse -
well...
by Tikuan / September 28, 2007 5:34 AM PDT

I know my vents are clean right now because Best Buy just cleaned these 2 days ago when I took it over to ask them some questions I had regarding to the Frequent Restarts. I didn't want to leave it because I though it wasn't a major problem and though I could probably fix it myself, plus it hasn't been overheating like it did before I even had the problem, air is cool now...

Collapse -
Then how old is this machine and...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2007 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: well...

Did they open it up and check that the heatsink is on proper and while there refresh the heatsink compound?

Again, I suggest a laptop cooling pad to help this along until the issue is resolved.

Bob

Collapse -
No Virus or Trojan?
by Tikuan / September 28, 2007 6:32 AM PDT

so you're saying I shouldn't worry about it being a Virus or Trojan?
because I been reading possibilities of what could be causing the problem and I've read Viruses/Trojans can cause this problem too...

Collapse -
by Tikuan / September 28, 2007 8:38 AM PDT

sorry for not answering... and no they did not open it, they only blew out all these dust out of the heatsink and through the fan on the bottom, since they did that on Wednesday it hasn't heated up like it used to when it worked.

Collapse -
It could be, but ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2007 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

I run in to so many that I know to do the full service since most never see the yearly cleaning and some models are known to find the heatsink off a bit or the heatsink compound has vanished (where does it go?)

So we give it the care and of course pests can be an issue. Here's a fav I use since it doesn't install on the laptop. I can scan and not touch the user's installed stuff.

-> http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.