Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HELP COMPAQ COMPUTER

by Dragonbssj / April 5, 2005 2:59 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP COMPAQ COMPUTER
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP COMPAQ COMPUTER
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a thought.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: HELP COMPAQ COMPUTER

I see the software approach didn't pay off.

I also don't see the make/model/CPU/details so I'll offer this.

1. Remove the case cover. Leave it off for now till it's fixed.

2. Remove the dust bunnies.

3. See if the CPU heatsink is clean.

4. All fans are spinning well?

5. The motherboard (and other) CAPACITORS must not have domed tops or leaking fluids. Pictures? Article about this issue? -> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

Bob

Collapse -
Done that
by Dragonbssj / April 6, 2005 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought.

Take the Cover of of the Compaq 5000 5004US
and i have cleaned the dust out with a air blower so its actually got none and by the way

The Video Card wasnt fully in 4 some old reason and in the Power Settings it was going to turn of all hard drives off in 30 mins but we had turned it to Never and it still Freezes so what do we need to do now its running Windows ME now again

Collapse -
RAM
by damasta55r / April 6, 2005 1:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Done that

128 MB is a bit low for ram and combined with your processor and a game + graphics card on PCI will cause your computer to crash. Solution-Get a new computer t6212. Check it out in Desktops Forum and read comments.
Roger

Collapse -
What about
by Dragonbssj / April 7, 2005 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: RAM

Why not upgrade the RAM then?
im going to upgrade today with another 128SDRAM so will it be iight with the 128+128=256MB SDRAM?

and if you mean the T6212 by eMachines
No because its $579.99 i can build a new computer 4 less then that like under $300 but the T6212 Minitower
Does come with AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, 16X DVD+/-RW and 48X CD-Rom Drives, Windows XP Home Edition.

But I need to really just upgrade this Compaq tho
What whould be good things to do in order to have this compaq 5000 Stay and be in working order?

Collapse -
same problem
by scannartist / May 24, 2005 5:30 PM PDT
In reply to: What about

Hey Dragonbssj i have the same pc as you only i have 512 megs of ram so its not that,i have had the 5004us for a long time and it just started to do the same thing you wrote about like the freezing even when its in dos or bios and no windows runnin its not the hardrives and i doubt its overheatin and i think it could be the processor i am wondering if a replacement processor would do the trick, have you tried a different processor i would love to know about anything else you tried. ill take my responce here or at scannartist@yahoo.com thanks oh and if you fixed it tell me how

Collapse -
Why do you rule out the memory???
by Ray Harinec / May 25, 2005 3:40 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

Download memtest and run from a floppy, link:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Also first, try running with one stick at a time.

Same with memtest, run for many hours, should get ZERO errors.

Other than that have you done all of the antivrus, anti spyware and related things that asre constantly being posted in these forums?? A problem within the BIOS is what mainly makes me suspect memory rather than the spyware issues, but still clean them no matter what. Seems very likely that it is NOT a processor problem.

You should really have started a new thread and gave us dtailed information on the exact problems that you are experiencing.

The problems that the dragon was having are part of a really different scenario.

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2005 3:49 AM PDT

I've had sticks pass that test and still be bad.

I was able to add a little more stress to the test to figure it out. Things like upping the clock rate a little, heating or cooling parts.

But it's a fine test, but I've learned to not dismiss memory issues when it passes. Just move it down the list to less likely.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.