General discussion

Help choosing new TV Features

I'm looking at buying a TV for my apartment and I'm trying to figure out what features I need and what ones I can skip. I'm looking for something in the 46-50" range.

I'm considering Plasma and LCD, LED is kind of out since they're a lot more expensive and from what I've heard the picture isn't much better since they are all the side lit models. I'm not to concerned with the thickness of the TV as long as it's not DLP.

I'm going to use a PS3 as my Blue Ray player so is there any benefit to getting a unit that has an Ethernet port in the back? Would that mean that the tv is newer and has a better picture?

Also 3d seems pretty expensive and lacking content so do I want to spend the extra money on a set with 3d capability or should I just wait a few years and get that on my next tv when it's cheaper?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help choosing new TV Features
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help choosing new TV Features
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Additional info

I'm going to use it for mostly movies, a little tv and ps3 and I'd like to hook my computer up to watch movies and also possibly use it as a second monitor for gaming if I can find a keyboard/mouse/cables that are long enough. I didn't mention it before but I'd like to stay close to $800 or so. Is there any brands I should avoid or stick to for quality, user interface, technology etc.

- Collapse -
$800 buys a really nice plasma

You might have to verify the model you want includes VGA if you require it instead of HDMI. The other day I helped a friend with her new 46" Panasonic TC-P46S2, which might meet you needs/budget. Ethernet is only necessary if you want to work with an internet connected model, which would generally break your budget as it stands. Ideally the HDTV you chose would have the appropriate connections to match your PC. If you have a newer PC/laptop having HDMI output would help in this regard.

- Collapse -
DVI

I'm planning on using it with my computer that has DVI and a DVI-HDMI converter that came with my video card (might have to have an audio cable not sure if they make a 2 in 1 or something. Most TVs don't have VGA any more but DVI seems pretty standard.

CNET Forums

Forum Info