Laptops forum

General discussion

help choosing laptop for photo editing

by bscottie / October 6, 2010 9:38 AM PDT

I need to replace my old Dell laptop in a hurry, and would really appreciate some suggestions b/c I'm not very tech savvy. I'm mostly going to be using it for photo editing with Photoshop and Lightroom (I'm starting a photography biz). Other than that, just general use, no gaming. Not really sure how to budget - I've been looking at models around $1k. Mostly need something that's fast and has very good visual clarity. I won't be doing a lot of travelling with it, but would like to be able to move around the house, so 15, 16, or even 17" would work.

Questions: should I be looking for i7, or are i5 or i3 good/long lasting contenders? What's the best native resolution for photo editing? I've heard 1366x768 is too low, is bigger always better in this case? Do I need a dedicated graphics card? Brands that are good or ones to steer clear of (don't know much about MSI, ASUS, or Acer).

If there are specific models you can point me to, even better!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help choosing laptop for photo editing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help choosing laptop for photo editing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just some thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2010 1:18 AM PDT

1. Try the laptop pickers at the top post in this forum.

2. If you can stand the heat, the i7 is fine. If battery time and portable use is important, stick to i3/i5.

3. As to the screen resolution I feel this does not matter. What does matter is the screen clarity and color. I like a lot of Sony models for that. Be sure not to buy a laptop sight unseen if you are going to edit photos.

4. Be sure to get your color calibration tools for this. I find most forget this and get burned on the colors.

5. No dedicated card is required for photo editing. That's for games.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by bscottie / October 10, 2010 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Just some thoughts.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up going with the "ASUS N71JQCore i7-720QM 1.6GHz Laptop1GB ATI HD573." Unfortunately it was sight unseen because I couldn't find any built models in stores around here that had the specs I was looking for. I did look at another Asus, and the clarity looked good. I am a little worried about the glare factor though. Thankfully Costco has a 90 day return policy on computers, so if it's no good I'm not stuck with it.

Collapse -
My kid has an Asus i7 machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2010 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Very similar in specs. It gets about 1 hour on battery power and is too hot for use on his lap. It is very fast. I take it that portable use was not a factor or the heat.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.