Question

Help choosing camera

Hello, I have read many posts and while helpful, I am still unable to decide. Here is what I am looking for: an affordable camera that functions fairly well in low light to capture images of a fast moving toddler. I am looking to spend somewhere in the range of $400, so I am in the mid-range for new point and shoots, or low range for a used DSLR.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help choosing camera
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help choosing camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
DSLR

Don't bother with a compact camera; it won't give you what you want. A DSLR will give you a much better chance because of its focusing system, larger imaging sensor, and faster performance. You will still run into some missed shots because no camera can give perfect results automatically all the time...a camera is a tool, not a magic box.

Canon USA has the factory refurbished XS with lens for $399.99; at the moment they are including a free 2GB SD card and gadget bag:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_204269_-1

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks! I think we have decided we definitely need to go with a DSLR, now we have to choose one.

- Collapse -
Same problem, different budget

I have pretty much the same issues as the original poster: I have 2 little ones and right now all of my pics taken inside are either washed out from using the flash, or blurry because the kiddos are NEVER staying still! However, I do not have quite the budget that the original poster does... I was HOPING for something under $100 (I know that's not terribly realistic), but probably $150 at the most. I don't really care about megapixels or screen size or really much of anything else-- I just want it to take decent moving pictures inside my house.

Is there anything decent that will fit my budget? I'm wondering if maybe there is a camera that was new a few years ago that I can either get used or new but marked down on amazon or overstock or something? How do I go about finding something like this? What specs will tell me if it will take decent pictures without the flash? Is there a way to tell from specs if the flash will wash out pictures? Sorry, I'm obviously a complete novice! I just want decent pictures of my kids!

- Collapse -
Video Camera

You will never get an acceptably clear photo with a $150 camera. With such a budget, you might be better served by using a so-called pocket HD camcorder, because of the lower resolution (compared to a still camera) and the moving image nature of video. You can go to YouTube and see samples of video shot with such camcorders.

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/shoot_and_share_guide_01.htm

Alternatively, you could use the video function of a compact camera for indoor use when the kids are jumping around, and the still image function when they will sit still or for use outdoors. Here's a review of the Canon A3300:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A3300IS/A3300ISA.HTM

CNET Forums