My money? Get the 970m and then swap in a 500GB SSD (just yesterday ordered 2 for 120 bucks each!) Zip, zam, bam.
Hey guys, I ordered two laptops yesterday during the ongoing Black Friday sales, and intend on choosing one of them depending on my impressions and advice I get from online.
1. Alienware 17 R2 ("Dell Outlet New" ordered from the Dell Outlet) (same configuration as this Amazon link)
* 2.5GHz i7-4710HQ
* 8GB DDR3L SDRAM
* 1TB SATA HD
* GeForce GTX 970M 3GB
* 17.3-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS-Panel Anti-Glare 300-nits Display
Final price with tax: $882
2. Alienware 17 R3 (ordered from Alienware website, it's the last configuration on the far right)
* 8GB Dual Channel DDR4
* 256GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA
* GeForce GTX 980M with 4GB GDDR5
* UHD (3840 x 2160) IGZO IPS Anti-Glare 400-nits Display
Final price with tax: $2022
Other than the obvious significant hardware upgrades, do you guys think there are noteworthy issues in the R2 that were fixed in the R3? From what I understand, the price I got the R2 at was quite good, so I guess I'm really just wondering if that substantially lower price justifies me keeping the outdated machine with worse specs (and potentially I could use the money I save to upgrade laptops sometime down the line).
Thanks for any advice!