TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Help choosing AV Receiver w/ speakers

by Tridogdude / January 1, 2009 3:19 PM PST

I am looking to purchase a HT system but could use a little help. Here is what I have already,

Sony Bravia 52" LCD HDTV
Sony PS3 for Blu-Ray viewing and gaming
Direct TV satilette HD with DVR

What I am looking for is a HTS in the $1500-$2000 range. I would like to have wireless since I have to somehow get the wires from the system to through out the room but I have researched this is and does not sound like there are any good choices for wireless. I refuse to have exposed wiring.

I have already installed the wiring in the wall for the HDTV and am in the process of builing a floating box shelf to house all the components and would like to get wires in the wall for the HTS now so when I decide on which system to go with it can just be plugged in.

There are a lot of websites that give BOSE a bad rep. My brother works at BOSE and can get me about a 40% discount on any of their systems so I am considering them. The Bose system I am considering is the Lifestyle 10.

My questions are is this an OK system for the money?

What systems are good for being located directly in front of TV near the shelf or at least on the front wall? The back wall behind the couch would be extremely difficult to get speaker wiring to but the front wall is possible.

What is the sequence of wiring for all the equipment I have since I want to get the wring in the wall now? I would perfer to use HDMI cables where possible for connections between equipment. The hanging shelf I am building for this will make future connections a bit difficult but possible to do.

Is there a good system with front speakers and maybe a decent wireless setup for the rear? Do I really need rear speakers?

I at least want to get the wiring from the TV down to the shelf done now since the TV has to be taken of the wall and I only want to do this once if possible. I was going to install three more HDMI cables back there just in case but those things are spendy.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make everything as clear as possible for the posters who help.

Thanks
Jon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help choosing AV Receiver w/ speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help choosing AV Receiver w/ speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
With a 40% off,
by ahtoi / January 2, 2009 12:05 AM PST

how could anyone not go for it? Just like cable monster, there is nothing wrong with products itself, they are just slightly over-priced.

Collapse -
Forty percent cannot be sneezed at. I'm not a poison pen
by NM_Bill / January 2, 2009 2:41 AM PST

type, but I don't advocate Bose, either. I feel their speakers, especially are very cheaply made. Bose has been marvelous at selling convenience. You can hardly avoid their products, as they are out there everywhere, including Bose outlet mall stores, the big boxes (BB & CC) & even Sam's Club & Costco.

Sure, they sound pretty good. As I said, their reputation is of cheap speakers which don't do a good job of actual fine reproduction of highs or lows. On top of that, add their reputation for proprietary parts reliability problems, & I avoid Bose.

But, you have much more of a bond with your brother than me. Ask him pointedly. Hey, we know he can get you a helluva price. You can get an Onkyo HTIB HT-S990THX (THX certified) for $530 plus shipping through the fine http://www.bhphoto.com

When I was working, I surely gave honest evaluations of alternatives when asked. They were customers, so I could anticipate a sale anyway. I was brutally honest, & sometimes felt I had valuable insider knowledge. My employer didn't care which brand they bought.

Can't you simply ask for intimate opinion from your brother? Any successful company has both strong & weak points. I suppose you can trust your own brother. If so, ask him to cut to the bottom line. Considering the 40% discount, he can get you into a convenient & pleasant sounding Bose outfit.

Lucky you. A Sony Bravia & PS3 are a very nice start. Have fun & enjoy.

Collapse -
40% is a good start no doubt
by Tridogdude / January 2, 2009 5:20 AM PST

but I also want to make sure I get a decent system. I talked to my brother and he said that he has heard the beef about Bose products but goes on to say that this can be said of a lot of the bigger audio companies. Everyone wants the smaller uncommon brand names.

As for the sound of the system, I am not really that up on what all the different systems offer for clarity and picking up highs and lows on movie soundtracks. I just want a good system other than what the Bravia TV offers which is not really that great.

I told my brother I might go with a different system because the the V10 only has two HDMI ports and I need at least three for my system hookup. He understood that but wanted to see if there are other Bose components that offer what I want.

Overall he is not going to be upset if I go with a different system.

I will check out the Onkyo you are talking about and see what that has to offer me.

Thanks

Collapse -
Great.
by NM_Bill / January 2, 2009 5:50 AM PST

I don't want to push anything down your throat. I wanted to make the point that with some stated budget, what I would probably choose as my idea of the best wouldn't necessarily be the best decision for you because your ears are yours alone.

I also value my brother very much & advocate others do the same.

Your brother, as some sort of insider may honestly feel reliability figures for quite a few competitors present problems for average consumers also. It's just that one of my sons & a best friend both have Bose & both have experienced reliability problems & because Bose is quite highly proprietary, their repair costs have seemed excessive. Just my observations.

As a small time old audiophile, I don't really push HTIBs because I feel they all try to do too much for the limited bucks & wind up, pretty much universally, have some fatal flaw. A few years back, I used an Onkyo tuner for several years of perfect satisfaction. In the last few years, Onkyo has gained high sales levels due to their aggressively offering a package with lots of nice specs & as a fantastic value. The company deserves kudos for that. When fantastic does happen, they should get a lot of applause for helping folks get better audio systems.

Likewise, I have no reason to specifically push the Onkyo brand. They are more on the ball than most all competitors. They get my thanks for making HDMI 1.3a more available to the public sooner than others. They also offer the Reon feature (superior than Faroudja) at a lower price point. However, Denon's reliability is overall considered higher by folks like the C/NET reviewers. Well, heck no product has it all.

If you will look for what seems to be the best HTIB for the price, a good starting point online is http://www. jr.com They offer several brands at very competitive prices. Onkyo is usually considered the best value in HTIBs.

Collapse -
Understand what you are saying
by Tridogdude / January 2, 2009 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: Great.

I have a home stereo system with Bose speakers and Pioneer tuner/receiver CD player and it sounds great to me.

I am not specifically wanting a HTIB and am checking all the options.

The main concern I have is that whatever unit I get have enough HDMI ports to do what I need and also have options in the future without having to buy a ne AV receiver. This option is not popular but I have seen it on a few receivers out there in my price range.

Thanks

Collapse -
Sure it's inconvenient because HDMI switchers cost a bit,
by NM_Bill / January 2, 2009 12:35 PM PST

but they can solve problems involving not enough HDMI ports. Don't turn your back on a perfectly good receiver just for another HDMI port.

The goal here is your satisfaction.

Collapse -
Using cubes for audio is akin to using a
by jostenmeat / January 3, 2009 4:32 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?