TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Help choosing a TV

Hello people.

I need help choosing a TV. Around 50 inches. Budget under $2000 USD. Mainly used as HDTV and for blu-ray. I will occasionally use it as a pc monitor. The sun will shine in on the TV during the day (if that matters). I've briefly looked at 3 different sets.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/toshiba-52rv535u/4505-6482_7-33248752.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sharp-aquos-lc-52d64u/4505-6482_7-32572268.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln52a550/4505-6482_7-32815316.html

I will most likely be buying this TV online as the nearest electronics store is 150 miles away.

Appreciate any help.
Greg

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help choosing a TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help choosing a TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BTW

In reply to: Help choosing a TV

Feel free to suggest another tv besides the ones I listed. I would prefer to stick with an LCD though as I heard plasmas don't work as well at higher elevations (7200ft).

Collapse -
I don't remember references right now, but the plasma

In reply to: BTW

at high altitude supposed problem is largely behind us. Yeah, hype kept me away for that very reason in 2003 when I suddenly needed to replace a TV. I had been out of touch & perhaps could have gotten some education if I had asked questions of dealers.

However, for that very concern, plasmas were re-engineered & you can chase down some company data of their certifying up to what altitude. What particular altitude, I don't know. I only live at one mile (Albuquerque.) Nearby Santa Fe is your altitude.

It is worthwhile tracking down that data from manufacturers websites. The reason is, consensus of opinion by watching plasma & LCD side by side is that the plasma picture is overall more satisfying.

Samsung had been a smaller seller, but has been comprehensively aggressive & now is a first rate line & the best selling brand, surpassing Sony. Of your mentioned sets, folks here would steer you towards Samsung, & probably make a point of steering you away from Sharp, who put out some deficient products.

Most here also advocate staying with the name brands. I concur. My next set is likely to be a Panasonic plasma. They are regarded as putting out the best value plasma sets. Their newest sets have much improved black levels & use less electrical juice than plasmas have gotten a rap for when compared with LCDs. All that mentioned, you will notice online & in the stores that the makers are now giving LCD a big push. Apparently if they get maximum volume production of them there are more profit margins for them. Don't let that deter you from getting what you decide you want.

I don't really have anything against LCD sets as this computer has one as well as our secondary set is an LCD. I just do believe I definitely prefer plasmas "softer" picture for the big, main set.

Collapse -
Thanks for the info

In reply to: I don't remember references right now, but the plasma

I'll look into plasmas as well then. See if anything is rated for my altitude. I forgot to mention I will use it for gaming a lot as well. That is another reason I was steering away from plasmas as well. I heard the HUD in games have a tendency to burn in.

Collapse -
Well, gaming. That's a different story.

In reply to: Thanks for the info

That tilts the playing field towards good LCDs. By good LCDs I mean current ones which now have accelerated response times to try to eliminate ghosting if fast motion sequence.

You should not have any trouble finding LCD TV data because the makers are definitely pushing that for the future & perhaps plasmas will fade away. I hope not fast, or sure, because they are so enjoyable.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.