Cameras forum

General discussion

Help choosing a p/s camera with a long zoom

by dbleftwich / November 9, 2009 1:20 AM PST

I currently have a Panasonic TZ4 and an Olympus SP570. In the past I had a Panazonic FZ5 but sold it to get the TZ3 because I wanted something smaller. Well my TZ3 had a defect and Panasonic replaced it with the TZ4. I never really felt the love for the TZ camera. I know it gets great reviews but only got good pictures outdoors and indoor pictures had black backgrounds with bright faces (I realize it was probably user error). I found the SP570 on clearance a few months ago and bought it on a whim but I cannot get used to the zoom ring. So I love the long zoom cameras and 10X is a minimum but now that I have had the 20X of the Olympus it will be hard for me to go much lower than that. I would like to find a camera to replace these two so I dont have to carry two cameras around at a time. I am a mom that shoots lots of kid pictures, sporting events indoor and outdoor and would like something easy to use. Honestly I will not be doing much if any manual settings. I know there are limitations to a long zoom p/s on auto mode but can someone give me some opinions on what is the best available option for what I am looking for.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help choosing a p/s camera with a long zoom
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help choosing a p/s camera with a long zoom
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon PowerShot SX-series megazooms
by SX10 IS / November 9, 2009 5:11 AM PST

SX-series CCD cameras: SX10 IS (10.0MP), SX20 IS (12.1MP)
SX-series CMOS cameras: SX1 IS (10.0MP)

Shared features: 28-560mm (20x) USM, vari-angle LCD, PASM modes, stereo mics
CCD cameras have 2.5" LCD, SX1 has 2.8" LCD
SX10 IS shoots VGA, SX20 IS, shoots 720p, SX1 IS shoots 1080p (40x usable zoom during video)
SX10 IS & SX1 IS use "AUTO", SX20 IS uses "Smart AUTO" (not really a difference)

I have the SX10 IS. A nice camera, excellent pictures in bright sunlight, but deteriorates in low light.

Collapse -
Also in need of help
by Deserttoad / November 13, 2009 4:20 AM PST

I am very much in the same boat. My Pentax Optio is starting to fall ill after many years of service.

I was really looking at the Nikon P90, with 12mp and a 24x optical zoom it seems like a great camera. But I notice it has gotten VERY mixed reviews.

The other camera I've looked at is the Cannon SX1 IS. But it has also met with mixed reviews for it's still shots. It has a 20x optical zoom, and being able to shoot HD video of the kids could be a nice feature as well. I never drag my 8mm video camera anywhere these days.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Collapse -
SX20IS
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 13, 2009 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: Also in need of help

The Canon SX1IS was the first camera of that type to have a CMOS sensor, but some people don't like the quality of the images.
The Canon SX10IS was much like the SX1IS but with a CCD sensor, but without the HD video. There was no complaint about the quality of the images on the SX10IS.

Now there is a SX20IS and it does have HD video and RAW.

You should take a good look at it.

Collapse -
Not so, Joe
by SX10 IS / November 14, 2009 8:15 AM PST
In reply to: SX20IS
Collapse -
He might have been told wrong
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / November 14, 2009 9:08 AM PST
In reply to: Not so, Joe

Joe might have seen the specs for the SX20 when it was first being introduced. Dpreview had it as having RAW as a feature, then people caught the error and it was later changed.

Collapse -
Oh well :-)
by SX10 IS / November 14, 2009 10:26 PM PST
C'est la vie! Happy
Collapse -
What do you think - Panasonic or Sony?
by dbleftwich / November 15, 2009 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: Oh well :-)

I think I have narrowed it down to Panasonic FZ35 or Sony HX1. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Out of those two

I'd choose the Panasonic. Sony hasn't done as well as the competition in the last few years, in regards to superzoom cameras. The HX1 is no different and others are better.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!