Computer Help forum

Question

Help choosing a laptop/device please

by HalCarleton / September 21, 2011 2:23 AM PDT

Alright, I'm having trouble choosing a portable device and would really appreciate some help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help choosing a laptop/device please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help choosing a laptop/device please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Apple makes laptops . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 21, 2011 2:34 AM PDT

Find one in your price range.

Collapse -
by HalCarleton / September 21, 2011 3:03 AM PDT

Apple does not make a laptop in my price range and they generally don't have great battery life. The macbook air would be a good option if it wasn't so expensive and had better battery life.

Collapse -
Good luck with that
by Jimmy Greystone / September 21, 2011 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

For the price you're setting, no such device exists. The best option out there would probably be the 11" MacBook Air. Otherwise, come back in maybe 5 years and there will possibly be something that fits all your criteria today.

Speed requires battery power, so you can't have both. The more functions of the laptop you use, the more battery power is going to be required. So wanting 8+ hours, plus being "fast", and being able to do CPU cycle sucking tasks like Java and Flash adds up to a grand total of pipe dream if we're talking $500 or less today.

Apple laptops tend to get the best battery life of anything out there without resorting to specialty batteries like Bob mentioned, so if you don't consider those to have particularly good battery life, then you're never going to find anything better anywhere else.

You're going to have to give on a couple of these things. You can have speed or you can have battery life. If you want battery life that's going to include some additional heft for the battery. There's only so much energy that can be stored per given unit of battery acid. Also, if you don't raise your price ceiling, to about double what it is, then you're going to have to compromise on pretty much all the things you want. These are just the facts of the laptop world as it exists today.

Sorry to be the one to dump all kinds of cold water on your plans, but someone had to give you the hard truth. You are asking for the impossible, so start figuring out which elements you're willing to compromise on.

Also, personally, I'd suggest just selling your iMac and buying a new one when you get back. Mothballing a system for extended periods of time tends to be a very effective way of killing them. Sell it to someone who will enjoy using it, put the money into a CD or something that'll earn a little interest while you're gallivanting about, then use the proceeds to buy a new iMac when you're in a position to use one again. Or buy something else, whatever, the point here is to give yourself options.

Collapse -
by HalCarleton / September 21, 2011 3:05 AM PDT

Not sure why I keep showing up as anonymous....

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like the Acer TimelineX series.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 4:09 AM PDT

But why the EXPENSIVE battery use? What I find today is most folk don't understand that using the battery is expensive. That is most batteries have 300 cycle ratings and in 18 months to a year you get to replace that IF YOU USE THE BATTERY a lot.

But it's your choice. I'm only adding this so you know there's a tax involved.
Bob

Collapse -
by HalCarleton / September 21, 2011 6:08 AM PDT

Even without the long battery life mac products still tend to be pricey. I love my iMac, but considering I only use it for internet, word processing, iphone/pod management and occasionally watching a movie I'd say it wasn't worth the price. What I need is something affordable that will provide fast internet browsing. The chromebook is very appealing for this reason, but I don't think I can get by without java or iPod compatability.

Collapse -
Chrome book is dead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 6:11 AM PDT

I've yet to find one user.

And at the price and the non-performance... Enough. it's dead Jim.

I can only guess you did try a tablet.
Bob

Collapse -
by HalCarleton / September 21, 2011 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Chrome book is dead.

I was considering an iPad 2, but I don't believe this would allow me to manage my iphone/pod.

Collapse -
The picture is getting clearer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2011 6:39 AM PDT

I thought the 8+ hours was so that you could use this instead of an iphone/ipod.

Back to my TimelineX suggestion.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Best Laptop
by lxdave / September 21, 2011 10:29 PM PDT

Get ipad2.

Collapse -
Answer
Help choosing a laptop/device please
by lovinmalemutes / September 27, 2011 4:18 AM PDT

I just read all the comments here and I have to agree that the iPad 2 will most likely be your best choice in what you want. I am currently using the iPad 1 and find it does all I need and then some. The only draw back I have found is that I haven't any flash for videos, but if you get a browser with flash it does the job. I love my iPad and all it can do. You can sync your iPhone, and/or iPod with little to no problems, and battery life is pretty good.
The only thing is the price, it will be a bit more then you want to spend depending on whether you want 64 GB or less, and if you want just wi-fi or 3G too?! I

Collapse -
Answer
Such a thing...
by mcharge / September 29, 2011 9:42 PM PDT

Sorry to add to the collective bubble bursting, but I have never heard of a laptop that does all of these things. I have a 13" MacBook Air, top of the line model, mostly because I work in IT and can claim it on my tax. Mac is expensive, but considering you can just transfer all of your settings from the iMac to the Air (or other mac laptop) the ease of use factor just about sells itself.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?