TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Help, can't get surround sound from TIVO but ok on DVD?

I have a Virgin TIVO box (Cisco CT 8620), Hitachi 37LD8600 TV, and Philips HTS 3530 (Home Theatre)
However I seem to connect, I cannot get surround sound from the TIVO box but it's fine from the DVD on the Philips HTS.
The TIVO has 1 HDMI, 1 Scart, & 1 optical audio.
The HTS3530 has 1 Scart (to TV) 1 HDMI out, 1 Video out (Yellow RCA) and Audio In-Aux (Red/White RCA) No optical audio!!
The Hitach TV has S-VHS input, AV inputs (RCA), Audio Line outs (2RCA) subwoofer out, 2 Scart, 1 HDMI In, Compont AV inputs. No optical audio!!
Any suggestions for connectivity between all units would be really appreciated, thanks very much.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help, can't get surround sound from TIVO but ok on DVD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help, can't get surround sound from TIVO but ok on DVD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Link, comment.

In reply to: Help, can't get surround sound from TIVO but ok on DVD?

Collapse -
Tivo surround sound

In reply to: Link, comment.

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean about "the missing information in my post" ?
Regarding setup - do you mean Tivo to HTS with HDMI (HTS HDMI is a "out") then only video RCA to to TV?
Thanks

Collapse -
I meant you may have to reveal which Tivo you have.

In reply to: Tivo surround sound

And RCA Video? Wow, that's usually Standard Definition and back then was only stereo.

Again, read your post and add a reply to your post about what you have there. I'll remove this like it never happened.
Bob

Collapse -
Tivo surround sound

In reply to: I meant you may have to reveal which Tivo you have.

Bob
Sorry you are obviously more A/V savvy than me. The box is actually at my brother in law's but I thought I clarified it as a Cisco CT8620? Thats all I know I dont personally have a TIVO. I'm just trying to help him get audio through his HTS from the TIVO. Where I mentioned RCA I presume I'm just referring to the RCA connector which is part of the composite A/V set???
Thanks

Collapse -
I'd start a new post.

In reply to: Tivo surround sound

You lead with you having a TIVO and while I could look at the Cisco CT8620 I went to get Tivo information because that's what you said you had.

I might be more something but when folk tell me they have a TIVO, I don't second guess that.
Bob

Collapse -
Virgin Media Cisco CT8620 Tivo Box 500GB

In reply to: I'd start a new post.

This is the info that relates to this box when you google it. So surely it's a TIVo box, manufactured by Cisco, No?

Collapse -
Link shows no TIVO.

In reply to: Virgin Media Cisco CT8620 Tivo Box 500GB

Collapse -
TiVo=PVR/DVR

In reply to: Link shows no TIVO.

Hi Bob,

In the common vernacular a 'TiVO' can often refer to any PVR or DVR, FWIW. Think about how many people still ask for Kleenex when they need any type of tissue Wink

-Pedro

Collapse -
In the case of TIVo

In reply to: TiVo=PVR/DVR

There's so much more to a TiVo than most DVRs. I've used so many and in my work we deal with the code on surveillance DVRs which gives me some insight on DVRs at a level many will never seen. But that's just me sharing my vantage point.

I guess I was hoping they would clarify the TiVo and figure out what they have is not going to get them where they want to go.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, you are preaching to the choir

In reply to: In the case of TIVo

Completely understood ;). As you know though, many folks won't be going to the granular level that you or I sometimes have to deal with, hence very general references to products or product families.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Let's forget "TIVO"

In reply to: Help, can't get surround sound from TIVO but ok on DVD?

As you write it's no TIVO let's check out your Philips HTS3530.
http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hts3530_98/hts3530_98_dfu_aen.pdf

As you can see it has no input that is beyond stereo and the reason it can do 5.1 from DVD is that it has the DVD player inside the system.

If you want 5.1 you'll have to replace the Philips HTS 3520 with something suitable to your needs.
Bob

Collapse -
Actually, it doesn't do true 5.1

In reply to: Let's forget "TIVO"

It's only giving her Pro Logic II, or matrix surround.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.