TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Help Buying Surround Sound!

by Sikander / March 5, 2005 4:57 AM PST

I've got a Sony DVP NS305 Dvd player which has the "digital out" port, and I have a TV, the only thing I need is 5.1 speakers. When I searched for surround sound, all of em were selling the speakers with the DVD player, i already have the dvd player, i don't need one. What do I need to buy to connect my dvd player with the surround 5.1 speakers. Is that an A/V reciever or is that an amplifier? And the A/V recievers i looked at at Cnet all were kind of DVD players, they all had Dvd playing functinoality? Can't i just buy a router type of thing that just makes 5.1 speakers work with my current DVD player, and does it matter if I buy different brand speakers and different band router or A/V Reciever or whatever for that matter, i mean is there any compatibility issue? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help Buying Surround Sound!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help Buying Surround Sound!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
yes...
by 3luke3 / March 5, 2005 6:53 AM PST

All you need as A/V receiver & a few speakers. I like Yamaha receivers. What is your price range? Athena speakers are very competitive right now. If you don't feel comfortable posting about $$$, then go ahead & email me. We can find the system that is the best bang for your buck. I assume you will mostly be watching dvds / tv on it? perhaps play some music CDs through it too (need to connect a cd player to it or some dvd players play CDs).

luke_miklos@yahoo.com

Collapse -
surround
by acebreathe / March 5, 2005 2:44 PM PST
In reply to: yes...

all dvd players play cds. there are a lot of receiver speaker combos out there that don't include a dvd player. yamaha is a good choice. whatever you decide to get try and make sure all the speakers are the same brand. it's not a compatibility issue, it's a timbre range issue. search places other than cnet. There's even a system from zvox that gives you surround sound from one box. it sounds pretty good. check around there are lot of systems on the market for just about any budget.

Collapse -
okay here's the deal.
by Sikander / March 6, 2005 4:35 AM PST
In reply to: yes...

Thanks luke for your support. My price range is around 200 to 250 $ but I live in a country where theres no online buying and stuff like that, and im mostly going to pick up my stuff from a "used stuff" store because im a little low on budget. I want to buy an A/V reciever and some good speakers. Now, i currently have a simple Pioneer stereo with two huge speakers, but i want to buy 5.1 What i want to know is, most of the 5.1 speakers i see are tiny, and i don't think they'll be as loud as my current speakers, i dont' want 5.1 that is not loud. My current pioneer owners manual says "Amplifier Section: Continuously Average power output is 50 watts per channel, min., at 8 ohms from 40 hz to 20,000 hz, with no more than 0.4% total harmonic distortion" and 75 W is written on the back of my current speakers. I wanted to know if the small 5.1 speeakers im buying can give me the same amount of loudness or even louder, and what is the power in Watts of RMS or whatever i need to look for on each 5.1 speaker to make it a loud surround sound system. Thanks so very much. and oh.......will i be able to watch tv at 5.1? because Television signal is not 5.1 i think.

Collapse -
above post continued......!
by Sikander / March 6, 2005 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: okay here's the deal.

sorry, I guess the output of my Stereo I described in the last post was only the average output and 50 Watts is NOT very loud hehehehe, well I found out this written in the manual, "Peak music power output........650 W(1kHz, T.H.D. 10%, 6 Ohm) and the speakers came original with the stereo so they are able to give me 650 Watts of power i guess, so how powerfull 5.1 speakers do I need to beat this or at least match this? Thanks.

Collapse -
ok, here...
by 3luke3 / March 6, 2005 1:31 PM PST

That 650 watts number, is the max power output if you have all the possible channels connected to speakers & it is cranked all the way up. Its not the power per channel. The power per channel is 50 watts as you said. For the budget... I would imagine you would want to stay with whatever receiver you have & try to find 5 speakers that can appreciate all 50 watts Happy that shouldn't be too hard. The center channel is definitely the most important, with front left/right speakers 2nd most important. Since your receiver can go down to 40Hz.... you MIGHT want to consider a sub-woofer, but it won't be TOO important considering your budget. Some TV transmits 5.1 digital sound, but I doublt you are in an area that has that.

Collapse -
hmmmmm
by Sikander / March 6, 2005 6:54 PM PST
In reply to: ok, here...

Okay, forget my budget lol, because I can improve on my budget and also I can pick up high power cheap stuff here in used stuff shops. You are telling me to buy speakers and connect them to my current reciever but my current reciever is quite old and it does NOT support 5.1 audio. If i want to buy a new reciever and new speakers, whats the speaker output level i should be looking for that is loud enough (im not saying the BEST and the most expensive) but loud enough to meet my current crappy 50 watt per channel audio. And also, suppose if i buy 50 watt per channel 5.1 speakers, or whatever you suggest, what do I have to look for in the A/V reciever im going to buy, will that have to be some specific power also like an amplifier or all of the A/V recievers will work with the 5.1 plus the subwoofer? Thanks.

Collapse -
well
by 3luke3 / March 7, 2005 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: hmmmmm

If you are going to get a new receiver, then I would suggest something that supports 5.1 (which means that it has a digital input) & that is around 75-100 watts per channel. Don't be fooled by the power stuff... remember, the relation between power & sound intensity is logarithmic; to double the decibels you have to increase the power by a factor of 10. So going from 50 to 100watts really only buys you a few more decibels. As far as the sub, usually you would get a powered-sub (that plugs into the wall itself) or an amp for your unpowered-sub.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?