TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Help buying Reciver and Speakers!

by karlmarx / November 1, 2005 10:44 AM PST

I would like to buy a good receiver, preferably with network connection and speakers. My budget is about $1,000 for each. I have looked at the Onkyo TX-NR901, and the Bose Acoustimass 10 Home Entertainment Speaker System, and they seems good to me however, I always get great tips from participants on this list. Anyone has any recommendations?
Thanks H.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help buying Reciver and Speakers!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help buying Reciver and Speakers!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Help buying Reciver and Speakers!
by jcrobso / November 1, 2005 11:28 PM PST
Collapse -
DENON AND ATLANTIC TECHNOLOGY mindbending
by stewart norrie / November 5, 2005 4:33 AM PST

How are you doung mr pro this is stewart calling I just bought a new DENON AVR-3805 amp and ATLANTIC TECH 4200 speakers with there 272PBMTHX subwoffer and on the back wall I installed an old set of cerwin vaga speakers and Iam so happy with this set upTOTALLY LIFE LIKE and the sub is tight and POWERFUL NO MORE CHEAP EQUIPMENT FOR ME ANY WAY GOOD LUCK cadillacstew@aol.com

Collapse -
Receiver/Speakers
by Dan Filice / November 2, 2005 1:49 AM PST

I agree with the previous post: No on Bose. I've had plenty of time to use the Bose Acoustimass system (both my father and sister-in-law have it) and it is has the worst functioning remote and no flexibility in the way the unit hooks up to the TV. Since it is a combo receiver/DVD Player, I didn't see a way to hook the unit up digitally or component to the TV. It also has the most confusing remote I've ever seen. Go with a separate receiver (Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha are all good), then look at separate speakers. Some brands that aren't too expensive are Infinity, Boston, Energy. I would stick with speakers made by companies that specialize in speakers and stay away from Sony speakers, Yamaha speakers, etc. Keep in mind that you don't need monolithic speakers for good 5.1 surround. Tiny speaker size has been a selling point for Bose, but I just don't think the Bose sound good at all. Also, the Bose "sub-woofer" is the "control center" for the other speakers, so you are limited to speaker placement base on their "sub" placement.

Collapse -
Go here join forum and ask.....lots of info
by Brakford / November 2, 2005 3:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Stay away from BOSE !!!!!!!
by avast / November 2, 2005 8:33 AM PST

BOSE is absolutely no no. one can only buy them if they were priced less $100 for the whole system. A friend of mine living in LA has BOSE Acousticmass 5(?) and it was a ripoff. The sound is just horrible. I didn't tell my friend not wanting to make him feel bad, but I feel real sorry for him.

With $1k budget, I'd recommend you buy PSB -- a nice Canadian speaker maker. JBL is pretty good too.

If you have time and the persistence, you can get much better system buying used from "www.audiogon.com" -- an audiophile marketplace web site now owned by Stereophile magazine. If money is no object, go with Dynaudio, the best in the world!

Collapse -
oh, receivers
by avast / November 2, 2005 8:39 AM PST

Yamaha and Denon are pretty much leader in this field in terms of absolute sound quality AND features, besides some boutique high-end shops. I personally favor Yamaha receivers but Denon comes real close though.

check out "www.audioholics.com"'s forum and you will find tons of good info.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!