Cameras forum

General discussion

HELP! Buying new camera

by Ariessa Cahyadi / April 8, 2010 4:32 AM PDT

Hi everyone!
I need suggestion on what compact digicam that I should buy with the requirements as follows:

1. great at taking texture's detail of any kind whether it's food or flowers, because I am using it for my animation texture.

2. preferably good at taking a landscape picture (equipped with wide angled lens)

3. preferably waterproof because I will be using it for a lot of traveling.

4. good images result with good contrast and saturation.

I'm an amateur at photography so do forgive me if I am asking for an impossible digicam =P

Right now I am setting my eyes on Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3, FZ28, and TS1.
But I am really really open up to any suggestions, and please tell me the pros and cons of your suggestions.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! Buying new camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! Buying new camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Buying new camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 10, 2010 1:27 AM PDT

I have read your message several times and I don't understand what you are looking for.

The three cameras you listed have little in common.

Panasonic
LX3 is aimed at people who want better low light performance, and very little optical zoom.
FZ28 is aimed at people who want a lot of optical zoom.
TS1 is aimed at underwater usage.
...The TS1 does not have great picture quality:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=panasonic_dmcts1

Collapse -
dude i need the fastest
by jparagone / April 20, 2010 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Buying new camera

which is the fastest point and shoot with good pictures. i have had sony and several fuji's
I need something that is going to capture my kid at the right moment. because it takes less than a second for them to move and miss the shot.

Collapse -
Fast
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 20, 2010 9:17 AM PDT

If you are outdoors during daylight hours, the only thing you need is a camera with a very little shutter lag.
Something like the Sony TX1 or Canon SD780IS or SD940IS

If you are indoors and shooting with flash, same as above.
Except that you will have to wait several seconds between shots for the flash capacitor to recharge.

If you are indoors and shooting without flash ... there are many problems.
The Canon S90 would be the best choice.

If you do not find the S90 satisfactory you have no more choices with point and shoot cameras.

Collapse -
Fast
by jparagone / April 23, 2010 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Fast

The s90 would most likely be the fastest and best product but a bit pricey. would you say the Canon's are the best for speed and quality. i just dont want to see anymore blurs when my kids move a little.

I was also lookin gat the Canon SD 1400 and A 3100 are those better or worse than the 780is and 940is??

The TX1 is interesting but i see some review on best buy that say its not that great movement...

Collapse -
Not Fast enough
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 23, 2010 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Fast

The cameras you mentioned are all about equal for speed and quality.
None of them are suitable for your purpose.

Collapse -
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38
by TheGermanGirl / April 12, 2010 6:40 PM PDT

Hi there!
I do have a Panasonic Lumix DMC myself and I love it! It is compact and the pictures are great. However, mine does not have a wide angled lens, which is a disadvantage sometimes. So why not go for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38? According to the description, it should perfectly meet your needs. On the other hand, it is quite big, so it might not be that handy for travelling.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Ariessa Cahyadi / April 14, 2010 2:57 AM PDT

Hi all,

thanks for both of ur reply, it really help me to choose which the best camera to go.

Ariessa.

Collapse -
Olympus?
by lonicera75 / April 15, 2010 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I am also looking for a similar digital camera but I'm somehow more interested in Olympus.. any suggestions?

Collapse -
I like Nikon d5000 very much!
by millermil121 / April 15, 2010 3:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Olympus?

How about Nikon d5000? i like this one very much, Nikon is a good camera brand. How about you?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?