Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Help building new PC

by rhodie469 / June 16, 2008 12:42 AM PDT

I?m looking to upgrade either my existing pc or build a new one using some of my current pc parts if possible. I?ve built 2 PC?s but both times had help from friends, those friends are gone now so I?m left on my own to complete this task. If anyone could help me that would be awesome. I?ll list the hardware I have and we can go from there?
I?d like to point out that a friend of a friend talked me out of buying dual core processors and sticking with the single core when I built this last puppy.

Motherboard: ASUS P5GD2-X LGA 775 Intel 915P ATX
Newegg Item # n82e16813131542

Processor: Pentium 4 640 Prescott 3.2 GHz LGA 775 84W Single-Core
Newegg Item # n82e16819116197

Ram: PQI Turbo 2gb (2 x 1gb) 240-pin DDR2 sdram ddr2 533 (PC2 4200)
Newegg Item # n82e16813131542

Vid Card: EVGA 256-P2-N527-RX GeForce 7800GTX 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Expressx16 SLI Supported
Newegg Item # n82e16814130048

I can play Bioshock, Crysis, and Mass Effect but they def don't run as great as I'd like them to.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help building new PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help building new PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Odd choices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2008 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Help building new PC

The 915 chipset is dated, the CPU is not dual core so your games that could use it, can't. That's not a nice Core 2 Duo (preferred) but you got the right amount of RAM but the video card looks dated.

1 item in the list is right?

Pick your video card from this list -> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-cards,1942.html

Collapse -
Re:
by rhodie469 / June 16, 2008 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd choices.

Sorry not sure if this was obvious but I listed what I currently have in my first post, let me know if there is anything there I could use to build a new pc.... and what new parts I should buy (with suggestions)

Thanks so much.

Collapse -
So far, this is what's good in the list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2008 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

"2gb"

I'd replace the rest. There are a few thousand choices here.

Collapse -
Good point
by rhodie469 / June 16, 2008 4:41 AM PDT

I hear you there. I know there are a lot of choices, I'm looking to build something good on a budget. I'll spend around 1k.... I know that's not going to get me a monster machine, but I'll do the best I can....

Collapse -
1K gets me a monster.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2008 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Good point

You'll see others post Quad Core and high end video card selections from newegg.com. That 915 is now too dated.

Collapse -
My problem..
by rhodie469 / June 16, 2008 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: 1K gets me a monster.

I guess my biggest problem is just finding parts that are compatible with eachother.... Like I know when you get a certain motherboard you need to make sure you have a specific type of ram, and specific type of processor and so on, so if you guys could just pick out a type of motherboard and tell me what type of ram, what type of processor, and so on.... I don't need specific brands or that, I just need specific types..... or do you think it would just be cheaper and easier to buy a prebuilt?

Collapse -
Maybe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2008 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: My problem..

But you only offered one attempt here. If you give up this fast then building your own may be too much since I can't count how many fail at the next step which is installing Windows. Many return the whole pile of parts as they learn there are some dozen drivers to collect.

Collapse -
can simplify the search process if needed
by squirtlewa / June 19, 2008 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: My problem..

You could just replace the mainboard and cpu, keeping the same RAM and graphics at first if price were constraining.

That motherboard's chipset is a bit dated and limits your CPU choices quite a lot, even tho it's 775.

Reading between the lines, it seems that game performance is important to you.

If you're really thinking $1k, there's a wide range of options, assuming you're going to reuse the case, drives, PSU, etc.

Budget:
mobo: 150
CPU: 300
RAM: 100
Graphics: 350

You can twiddle with the allocation, but it'd be hard not to end up with good performance. That's overspending on RAM, and you may already have the OS you want.

I didn't dig deep, but front page at newegg showed an Asus P5N-D SLI-capable mobo for $150 + shipping.

My local store has E8500 C2duo and Q6700 C2Quad for at/under $300.

That leaves plenty for the graphics, or put some toward updating the PSU, drives, software, ...

Collapse -
hmmm....
by rhodie469 / June 19, 2008 2:52 AM PDT

I think that sounds good, I'll just replace the mobo and processor for now and keep my current vid card / ram (I could always add more).
So could someone suggest a good mobo that would accept the ram and vid card I already have?
For my current vid card to work I just need a mobo with a PCI Express x16 slot right?
For my ram I need a mobo with slots for 240 pin ddr2?

Also where do I see what kind of hard drive is compatible? I just had one crap out on me the other day and I'd check it out to see what it was but my girlfriend tossed it out.

I was just thinking another option could be for me to find a prebuilt with a good mobo and processor that accepts the ram I have and an extra vid card slot for my current card (if there are 2 pci express x 16 slots can you have 2 different vid cards in them?) Is it really worht it to have 2 vid cards instead of 1??

Collapse -
almost all consumer M boards support PCIe & DDR2
by squirtlewa / June 20, 2008 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmm....

At least at this time it's an easy match -- hard not to find one that won't, really.

New hard drive = SATA II of whatever capacity you like. Desktops use 3.5" drives...

Running 2 PCIe video cards is referred to either as Crossfire (ATI) or SLI. The it works you get 2 identical cards and link them -- in your case with the old card just use it by itself - if it's inadequate to the tasks you want to do then replace it completely as it's a few generations old.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.