Samsung forum

General discussion

HELP - brand new LN46A650 - flickering on the screen

by mazur_1 / February 9, 2009 3:47 AM PST

Hello -

just brought home brand new LN46A650. To my dismay however I noticed
on the 2nd day that there was flickering on the screen (with some noise coming from the speakers) the first time I switched my LCD set on in the morning. The problem went away after I turned the power off for few seconds. I'm using HDMI cable to connect to my comcast box.

To test this further I turned the TV set on and off couple times and the problem reapppeared on the 4th or 5th try.

I also noticed once that the flickering (with slight popping noise) would appear sometimes when I was switching between the channels (this happened only once)

NOTE: the flickering/noise would go away after I turned off the TV.

I thought I've done my research and chose SAMSUNG brand wisely but I'm having second thoughts...????

I'm using MONSTER power surge protector so I'm thinking this is not electrical issue.

I appreciate quick response to this matter - I have only few days to return this LCD to the store.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP - brand new LN46A650 - flickering on the screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP - brand new LN46A650 - flickering on the screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All inputs?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 9, 2009 1:54 PM PST

mazur_1

Is the flickering happening on all inputs, or just the cable box (or coax in the wall)?

Does it do the same thing if you use a DVD player or other device?

--HDTech

Collapse -
HELP - brand new LN46A650 - flickering on the screen
by mazur_1 / February 9, 2009 9:22 PM PST

HD_TECH:

So far I have not seen the flickering when connecting the TV to DVD player (I used DVD player over the weekend for 2 hrs or so).

Also - I switched the connection from HDMI1 TO HDMI2 yesterday and it worked fine for a day. This morning however the problem is back.
The flickering/flashing + slight popping/scratching sound happen now at the moment of changing the channels.
Turning off the TV for a while or disconnecting the power cable completely for 30 sec didn't do anything. Each time when I change the channel now the flash/flickering + slight popping/scratching sound is there.

I am really getting frustrated with this. I spent a lot of money on this set after trusting SAMSUNG brand - and now I'm asking myself should I return this to the store now?
I'm still within the 30 day window.

Collapse -
flickering on the screen
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2009 8:15 AM PST

mazur_1,

If it's not happening on all inputs, it may be a broadcast issue or connection with the cable box. I could go into detail and explain why if you'd like, but basically the cable box has copy protection software that doesn't always connect properly (called a handshake).

Often times, this can be fixed by resetting the cable box or requesting an update from the cable company to install on the box - or sometimes changing the box. I would also switch the input back to HDMI-1 for uniformity sake.

I appreciate the amount of money you've spent and the trust you placed in us. But let's figure out if this is a Samsung problem, or an issue with the cable box.

Of course, if you decide that it doesn't fit your needs at any time between now and the return date, or can't find resolution, do what is best for you. I would rather you be happy above anything else.

--HDTech

Collapse -
flickering on the screen
by mazur_1 / February 10, 2009 11:30 AM PST

Hello Samsung_HD_Tech -

I called my cable provider - Comcast - and we will try replacing the box. I found that when the flickering/snowy flash happened once more when changing channels - I disconnected the cable box from power (which reset it). This seemed to take care of the issue.
Are there more posts related to cable box/handshake issues on this forum? If so I'd appreciate any links -

Thank you for your prompt and professional response -
I hope to keep my LCD as when things work it's just great!

mazur_1

Collapse -
Box replacement
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2009 2:53 PM PST

mazur_1,

There are HDMI handshakes that cause different issues; in some instances, the picture goes out and comes back, or just goes out. Flickering is one of the tame symptoms, and if unplugging the box fixed the issue, then I think you've found your source. You might want to see how long it takes for the issue to reappear. If it happens rarely, you might save the trouble of replacing the box.

There are lots of links, and maybe the best way to approach this is to type "handshake" in the search enging at the top of the webpage. Samsung related = "In this forum". If you want to see all the problems, you can click "In All Forums".

You're quite welcome, and if there's anything else we can do to help, let us know.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.