Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help Booting Back In XP or Vista

I have an HP a1540n or something like that. It had Windows MC 2005 edition installed on it, and like some ******** ******, I got a trial of Vista and installed it. I then, in an attempt to uninstall it, went to the recovery console on startup. I then proceeded to use the fixboot command. Now EVERYTIME I try to reboot, it goes straight to the recovery console. Vista is still on there somewhere, I just never get a chance to try and load it. Is there any hope for my HD at all?

Thanks in advance. This has been one of the worst days of my short life. 360 stopped working, 51 inch TV got a terrible red swirl on it, and now this. I almost started crying when this happened. I know I'm in way over my head and thought I'd ask for help from people that know what they're talking about before I messed it up and crossed the point of no return.

Once again, thanks a million.

PS: Whenever I've tried to load into XP after installing Vista, it doesn't work.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help Booting Back In XP or Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help Booting Back In XP or Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
wipe it clean

In reply to: Help Booting Back In XP or Vista

You need to "wipe" the partition that has Vista with KILLDISK or DBAN, and then use the CD's that came with the computer to reinstall Windows MCE. Don't forget to install all drivers (XP MCE doesn't do this for you).

Do you still have the CD's that came with the computer? If you had to make the recovery CD's yourself, do you still have those?

CAUTION:
- The above procedure will erase all personal files and settings.
- Don't erase the recovery partition, if there is one.
- If there is a recovery partition, only wipe the partition that has Vista and then follow the recovery procedure for your computer.

Collapse -

In reply to: wipe it clean

I've gotten 3 computers from HP and haven't recieved an OS installation disk with any of them.

I don't have any recovery disks either.

When it loads the recovery console it gives me 3 options.

the first is C:windows
the seconds is d:somethingNT
the third is d:some sequence of numbers.

I used the map command and it only showed 2 partitions, C: NTSC and D: FAT32

The way it is, I can't log on to ANY operating system, or atleast figure out how. I don't even need to get XP MCE at this moment. I'd be content with being able to surf the net and listen to music at this point.

Collapse -
Try the HP System Recovery procedure

In reply to: reply

You can't uninstall Vista. I repeat, you can't uninstall Vista. You have to format over it or wipe it.

Since you didn't make a copy of the HP Recovery CDs when you first received the computer, you need to run the HP System Recovery procedure from the recovery partition.

READ AND FOLLOW THESE DIRECTIONS:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph07145
(Use the "Recover During Startup" procedure.)

The procedure might work because of the formating that occurs during the HP System Recovery process (the destructive recovery). If it fails to work, then here are some troubleshooting procedures:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=bph07144&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

One problem is that XP doesn't take well to installing to a partition where Vista already is present. If the HP System Recovery fails, that partition may need to be wiped clean with KILLDISK or DBAN (Google it) before attempting the HP System Recovery again.

As mentioned in the HP support articles, you can order HP System Recovery CDs for your computer.

Once System Recovery is complete and you can get into Windows, please do yourself a favor and make the recovery CDs.

Collapse -
Vista Mess

In reply to: Help Booting Back In XP or Vista

You mean I'm not the only one? It's true, you can't uninstall Vista and if you didn't make a set of recovery CDs for yourself, don't waste time calling Microsoft; call HP and order the recovery CD if you can't follow the suggestions mentioned here or if they don't work. I'm not going to try it tonight; I've been messing with (polite word substituted) this situation all day and it's getting late. I guess that makes me a a****t too.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.