General discussion

Help big problems with XP - trying to back up

I have an Asus 3F3, about 3 years old, and am running XP professional sp3. Vista was pre-installed but I couldn?t run some software I need ? and it kept crashing, so I tried installing XP. Of course, the SATA disk couldn?t be detected by my old version of XP, but since I was studying at the time I got a uni version which the IT guys there installed for me. This means I don?t have a manufacturer cd with all the drivers etc.

The installation was starting to cause problems about 1 year ago but I needed the laptop urgently and didn?t dare to try t a new installation.

Now I?ve had a few infections. I ran 4 antivirus/spyware programs: Sophos, Antivir, Malwarebytes and Spyware Doctor. They all found infections.

Right now Spyware Doctor is the only program ?active?. I disabled on access scanning etc. with the other programs as they would probably clash (was that sufficient to stop them interfering with each other?)

Now I?ve been having all sorts of problems. Quite a few crashes, sharing violations and bttray.exe errors. It also takes forever to shut down. While I was writing this the system started running really slowly. The explorer crashed and windows performed a disk check after rebooting.I had the following messages:
Deleting index entry avertbd.dbe ? journal in index $I30 of file 82781
Deleting index entry AVEVTD~1.DBE in index $I30 of file 82781

Then I had the usual BTtray message:
Runtime error
Program files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\ BTtray.exe
The application requested runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

My biggest worry: I?m trying to back up files and CD/DVD drive isn?t working properly. I?m sure it?s a software problem as it can see the drive and I can open documents on the drive when I insert a data cd ? but it won?t run a DVD video, music CD and ? I can?t burn anything. I inserted the windows CD and it did give me the option to boot from CD ? which is why I assume the problem is a software issue that occurs after BIOS (is that correct?).

The CD/DVD drive:
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4084N [Optical drive]
Device Manager says it?s ok and a driver update (by Windows-not online) didn?t solve the problem. I?ve tried googling to find an update for it ? but I can?t even find out who the manufacturer is. Grrrrr.

I?m trying to back everything up to attempt a complete reinstall. I have extracted the drivers using driver magician and driver genius (with Sata controller) and want to use nlite to create an installation CD.
Now I?m on my third try to backup to an old hard disc (used as an external). I?m using GFI which seems pretty good ? but I?ve already had two backups fail. It seems to be some files that were corrupted. Its running right now ? so fingers crossed. I?m wondering whether there is a problem with admin rights. Since I?m running a uni version I can?t log on as administrator. I?m guessing I don?t have ?full rights?. But my user profile has admin rights.

So my main issue: backing up my data (it?s a lot and important) and getting the CD/DVD drive working so I can burn an installation cd using nlite and start afresh.

I also want to download Ubuntu and burn that to a dvd ? so I have an alternative to access the internet if my first try with nlite fails.

Can anyone recommend a way to get the CD/DVD burner working? Is it possible that this is down to some probs in the registry? Can you recommend some software to help out? Any ideas about backing up if the 3rd try fails?

Thanks in advance! Hope you are having a better day than I am Sad

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help big problems with XP - trying to back up
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help big problems with XP - trying to back up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
So what you are saying.

Is that someone set you up to fail by not supplying a boot CD of XP. And you don't have a license to said CD so you can't go get it.

As to the CD drive try the old CODE 39 SOLUTION. DO NOT question this one as it's something we try since it has been safe to use here for years. Here's the article and if an entry is missing, look for the next one. Remove, reboot and test.

What happens?

---->>>
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080808141039AABJ2W9

There are one hundred plus articles on this step.

I will not answer any request to make another bum XP CD. I've seen too many. The lesson here is simple. Get the real thing.

If the drive has failed the answer is to replace the drive or try an external USB DVDRW. I've seen these for under 30 bucks.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I'll give that a shot once I've backed up (third try also failed as computer crashed while backup was being carried out)

Just to clarify: I couldn't use my XP cd (with license etc.) The XP version on my computer is a legitimate, licensed version - but since it is a uni version installed by the IT technicians at the uni, I don't have the cd. I want to get rid of that version and install my own XP CD.

The problem with my XP version is that it can't recognise the SATA harddisk - I know there is a solution to that problem (using my legitimate CD and nlite to add drivers to an iso and then burn and install that) That is necessary because computers no longer come with floppy drives.

Of course, I have to back up my files first.

I'm also going to give ccleaner a try. Once I have my files backed up - I'm not fussed about crashing the system since I want a new install anyway.

If you have any hot fixes you want me try ... Wink

- Collapse -
The XP SATA issue is dead.

Well discussed how to deal with it. Hint: BIOS SATA EMULATION AHCI and such.

I can't discuss that uni version. If you have a right to it, you have the media or could get the media. Let's not talk about versions you have dodgy rights to.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info