Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

HELP : Avenue A Inc. and MRU List

by springchild74 / October 29, 2005 10:32 AM PDT

Spyware Avene A. keeps coming back. I run Spybot, delete it, run it again, and it's still there.

Adware : MRU List, 2 negligible objects, keeps coming back on Adaware scan. They weren't there before.

MS Spyware remover beta version didn't find anything. I have Zonealarm firewall and Systemantic Antivirus on. They are not detecting anything.

My laptop is definitely slow for the past few days.

HEEELP!!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP : Avenue A Inc. and MRU List
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP : Avenue A Inc. and MRU List
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Interesting.... Spybot will remove it and if you enable.....
by tobeach / October 29, 2005 3:19 PM PDT

the Bad Download Blocker and (at very bottom) tick the box for "notify when blocking" you'll know which site it's comming from as well as prevent its' re-install.
To enable Browser Helper bad download block: Click on immunize sheild and look at bottom of page for the check box. Remember to press the green cross at top of same page to double check you're fully immunized (despite box saying "all known bad... already blocked) after each update. This should help. Happy

Collapse -
Hi springchild74
by roddy32 / October 29, 2005 9:28 PM PDT

AvenueA is only a tracking cookie and if you are using IE you can block that by hitting the immunize shield on the left side of the page on Spybot. That will take you to the immunize page. On the bottom, make sure there is a check mark where it says ''enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer''. In the dropdown box below that, I would choose ''block all bad pages silently'' so you don't get a bunch of popups every time you visit a web page. Then, on the top of the page click the green ''+'' sign which will activate that protection. Remember to do that each time you download updates. The MRU's on Ad-Aware are nothing and most people, including me don't even scan for them. The next time you do a scan, when you click ''start'' at the bottom, the next page where you choose which type of scan to do, you can UNcheck where it says ''search for negligible risks'' and you won't see them anymore. I use CCleaner which is a different program to get rid of those. Regardless, none of the above items will slow the computer down so you have another problem that is causing that. I would also add SpywareBlaster by Javacool as an extra blocking program for both IE and Firefox. It is free and you can get it here.
SpywareBlaster (a blocker only, download it, check for updates, enable it and leave it alone except for checking for updates occasionally)
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Collapse -
Speaking of spybot ... updates downloard problem
by springchild74 / October 29, 2005 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi springchild74

for the past few days, i have not been able to successfully download updates - the name of the updates are listed a little strangely (ex. "?" before the file name) and also it takes forever to download so i often quit the process.

Should I download a new version of spybot? does anybody else have the same problem?

Collapse -
Keep trying. Spybot often has
by roddy32 / October 29, 2005 10:37 PM PDT

update problems. You should get them eventually. Once you hit the "check for updates" button, before you click to download, you will see a list of available servers, just choose a different one and see what happens.

Collapse -
Am unclear as to Spybot version...
by glenn30 / October 29, 2005 10:48 PM PDT

But if it is not the latest you should download current version.

Just a thought!

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That is true Glenn. Latest is 1.4 springchild74
by roddy32 / October 29, 2005 10:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
If needed...
by glenn30 / October 29, 2005 11:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
Spybot - NOT removing Avenue A. Inc
by springchild74 / October 30, 2005 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: If needed...

Hi, it seems my spybot is uptodate after all, but I noticed one thing. It is NOT removing avenue A even if I click the "fix the problem" button. I fixed the immunization situation per suggestions here, and it says "all known bad products are already blocked."

Huh.....? Am I the only one with this problem?

Collapse -
Are you putting a checkmark
by roddy32 / October 30, 2005 2:41 AM PST

in the little box in front of AvenueA before you tell Spybot to fix it?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Heavens YES!!!
by springchild74 / October 30, 2005 5:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Which browser are you using?
by roddy32 / October 30, 2005 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Heavens YES!!!

Just to let you know, that particular cookie comes from one of the ads at CNET so it's going to come back every time you visit here unless you are using IE and have Spybot blocking it. All it is is a tracking cookie. SpywareBlaster should block it also. I gave you the link for that earlier in this thread. Did you download and install that?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?