PC Hardware forum

General discussion

HELP! ASAP!

Sooo, i got these new parts from newegg, and built my own computer. I bought an ECS Geforce6100PM-M2 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard, and amd athalon 2.4ghz processer, 1gb ram stick, and a xfx 8600gt graphics card. I plugged everything in correctly along with my unformatted hardrive and my two disk drives from my old pc. After i turn everything on it just scans everything and gives me an error and keeps restarting scanning and gives me an error. I cant even get to my desktop. What should i do? any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP! ASAP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP! ASAP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This may be an issue

In reply to: HELP! ASAP!

Did you buy a power supply unit capable of handling what you bought?

Collapse -
You said disks from your old PC

What's on these disks? By any chance does one of them contain a copy of XP? If so, this would be normal. When XP sees too many hardware changes it refuses to boot up. It may just come to the Windows startup screen and, appear to be loading but restart again. It might be correctable by doing a repair installation depending on what version of XP it is.

Collapse -
might be what he said - os

In reply to: You said disks from your old PC

depending on what your old system was your operating system might be at fault. If you took your hard drives out of a machine that was bought in store such as a dell or hp, then your operating system was configured to only run on that machine with those specs. I don't know of any possible way to run an operating system from store bought pc on another pc. If this is not the case and you had a custom machine or a stand alone operating system (not specific to any machine) then I would try to run a different hard drive/o.s. in the machine. If you can, try installing ubuntu (free linux) via another computer and put the hard drive back in your machine and try to boot up...if it does then it probably is the hard drive/operating system. But if it doesn't boot up then you've got some other problem either faulty hardware or incompatible hardware.

Collapse -
hardrive issues

Oh thanks for the replies. I reformated my hardrive and loaded it up with my motherboard. It started to run fine but it wouldnt install any of the new drives, like the motherboard, and the pci and pci e buses ect. I stayed up a few hours last night trying to figure it out but gave up at 6am lol. I mean it shouldnt be this complicated. Also what if i use an external hardrive? cuz i tried that before but when it loads up it just says some erorr saying to put the correct hardrive.

Collapse -
Do the installation on a brand new drive

In reply to: hardrive issues

without the other drives connected. Try and connect them if the installation is successful.
Collapse -
xp problem

Ok, i tried installing windows xp pro on my external hardrive and it began to work. everything worked fine up intil after everything was installed an erorr occurs. Something about "stop/ x000000" erorr saying that i should check the newly installed drives if theres a problem. i checked and nothing was wrong.. what now? -_-

Collapse -
What now??

In reply to: xp problem

Heed the advice already given. Install the OS as designed...on an unpartitioned internal drive. Additionally, don't let it see another partition during the installation process. Keep it simple.

Collapse -
alright last question.

In reply to: What now??

ok soo if i go ahead and buy myself and oem sata hardrive, and a win xp pro oem disc. I shouldnt have any problem at all what so ever with installing anything. correct?

Collapse -
Do you not have these already???

In reply to: alright last question.

I'm terribly sorry but this whole train of thought you seem to be following is so completely disjointed that I need to bow out. There are too many missing pieces to what you have to work with and what is your goal. It doesn't sound as if you've taken any of the advice given so far and no one is going to promise smooth sailing with any installation of Windows with the purchase of a hard drive and XP CD alone.

Collapse -
what i had..

In reply to: Do you not have these already???

No, what i had was an old 80gig hardrive from my old pc that had windows xp home edition. I tried installing the cd with my new motherboard but didnt work and kept giving me erorrs. So i tried installing my windows xp home edition to my external hardrive and yet it gave me more erorrs. So I asked one of my friends what i should do and he told me to just get myself a new oem hardrive and a win xp pro for system builders oem disc and it should work fine.

Collapse -
I could agree that's a better start

In reply to: what i had..

especially if your old XP Home was an original edition with no service packs. It still won't guarantee smooth sailing. Using a SATA drive might require you to change some BIOS settings on your MB to get XP to recognize it. You're going to need the MB driver disk and drivers for any other installed hardware. My earlier suggestion in this thread was to avoid attaching any other drives but the essentials first. You are safe with a floppy and a CD ROM. Avoid anything attached to USB ports initially. If your MB has on board sound and/or video and you have add in cards for these, make sure you disable the on board devices. If you MB, RAM and other hardware is free of defects and compatible with XP, you should be able to complete the installation. But, there's no guarantee it's going to run without interruption or intervention. If you experience fatal errors and want to post these in the forums for help, please do so and be specific as to what they say. Good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.