1. Pentium 4-Single Core Pentium D-DUal-core
3. Nvidia, for you, i suggest x1600pro 128MB GDDR3
4. SATA and SATA II are backwards compatible
5. I suggest Dual-layer DVD+_RW for around $40.
6. Ghz is unimportant. I suggest dual-core x2 3800+
7. Sound, it doesn't really matter if you're not gaming, but i think sound blaster audigy makes sound sound better, especially with my headphones...
8. I suggest getting a Gateway X2 4400+ model that was on sale in the ad for circuit city or bestbuy. Its $899.99 with 17"LCD, 1GB Ram, 250GB Hard Drive, DVD+_RW, DVD-ROM, Windows media center edition. Just upgrade the psu, and gfx card.
I have a 1995 Gateway which is still ticking at the lake house. Of course it is not used alot. I also have a Dell 8300 at home which had a power surge even though it is attached to an APC power surge protector and the red in the monitor is gone. Bill and I felt like I should look into purchasing a new system and taking the Dell CPU to the lake and using it with the Gateway monitor.
In doing my research, I am getting quite confused.
1. There are Pentium D and Pentium 4's with hyper thread or dual core - which one
2. There are also Athlon processors - which is better Pentium or Athlon?
3. Which graphics card is the best?
4. Hard drive- Do you want SATA OR SATA II?
5. What type of DVD do you need? DVD+/- with CDRW or something different?
6. How much GHz do you need?
7. Seems like a lot of stuff is integrated on the motherboard, is this good or bad?
8. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated as I need to make a decision soon.
Thanks in advance for all your expert advice as I have learned to come to this site before purchasing any electronic. MamaJen