Computer Help forum

General discussion

help anyone??

by drael519 / July 15, 2005 11:55 PM PDT

Hello...i am new to this forum, but the first time i asked for help you guys were so knowledgable and really helped me out....i have windows ME...it seems there is so much garbage on my computer...i get tons and tons of popups and sometimes it just freezes everything up....i run cable modem, but it even seems that under the add/remove program everything is not listed on there...for instance...i downloaded earthlink because we were having trouble with our cable and now i cannot remove the earthlink because when i bring up the add/remove it is not listed on there....when i hit the control/alt/delete to close down some of the programs that are running and seem to be freezing things up, there are sometimes 20-30 things in there that seem useless...i went to msconfig and am under the selective startup so not everything will open up, but that only lasts for a shorttime....
how do i get rid of the garbage??...i do have an older computer, but it still runs good some of the time....
thanks...donna

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: help anyone??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: help anyone??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two options
by Yew / July 16, 2005 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: help anyone??

You've got the fast and annoying way, and the slow and annoying way.

The fast and annoying way is to just bite the bullet, format the system, and rebuild it from the ground up. Guaranteed to rid your system of any and all crap clogging it up now, but rebuilding a system takes time if you don't have a lot of experience with such things.

The slow and annoying way, is to try and clean up the mess as best you can. Trouble is, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get things back to "normal" or that it will even work. Chances are, you'll only be able to get rid of most of the garbage, and will have to learn to live with the rest.

Personally, I'd recommend the fast and annoying method. And when you're done, the first thing you should do, after visiting the Windows Update site to make sure you're fully patched, is download a copy of Mozilla Firefox and stop using IE. If you don't have an antivirus program, get a copy of AVG Free or Avast. Do that, and the problems you're currently experiencing shouldn't ever be able to reach the same level of magnitude they have currently. You should also run through the list of programs you use, make sure none of them contain spyware (use Google to help figure out which ones do and don't). Get rid of the ones with spyware, keep the rest.

Also, if you use Outlook or Outlook Express... Stop! Get a copy of Mozilla Thunderbird instead. And then the usual sorts of safe Internet habits also apply... Don't go to dodgy websites, don't open email attachments unless you're expecting them, and even then, only after scanning them with an anti-virus program... Avoid using any Microsoft program for any sort of Internet use as much as possible, and a firewall might help. Just remember that if you manage to tick off an actual hacker, that firewall won't protect you, but it should help fend off automated probes which are the major threat for most people.

Collapse -
thanks for the reply....
by drael519 / July 16, 2005 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Two options

Thank you for the reply, however i really am not good at most computer stuff...at least not this kind....how would i eliminate everything and start from scratch?
also what is IE??..and is mozilla firefox like a firewall??..i currently have norton security system, which has the firewall and antivirus...but i don't think it's working properly...i wonder if i uninstall and reinstall from the disc if it will help...because when i open it, some of it says it's not running....
how would i rid things the slow annoying way??..i really appreciate your help.....thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?