Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Help! Anybody know about "Connections."

by CityStar / March 26, 2005 11:37 AM PST

I had Win98, My computer stops loading data but it does not disconnect. I upgraded to Win2000-new hard drive-new modem-new connection to cable internet..None of this solved the problem. The icon lights up when connected but it goes out and back on. When it go out the data stops loading. What component controls the loading of sending and receiving data? Anybody know? If so, please share. I am lost. Two repair persons are lost also because they did not solve the problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! Anybody know about "Connections."
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! Anybody know about "Connections."
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can't help either. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2005 11:45 AM PST

Not a word in your post about the hardware of the PC, if drivers were installed (note where they came from and more.)

Frankly, I'm finding more and more people expect Microsoft and the OS CD to install proper on it's own. Such has never been true and even moreso today.

Hope you can reveal at least what was asked for in the forum tip.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry,,,,,,,I did not include enough infomation:
by CityStar / March 30, 2005 9:46 AM PST

CPU HP6470Z Pentiun II --CPU Speed 400MHZ --Cache 512 KB Ram
Drive Model MAXTOR 6L080J4
Drive MediaLoaded True
Drive MediaType Fixed hard disk media
Drive Partitions 2
Drive Size 80046489600 bytes
___________________________________________----
Intel 82443BX Pentium(r) II Processor to AGP Controller OK
____________________________________________---
Name Broadxent V.92 PCI DI3631-1
Description Broadxent V.92 PCI DI3631-1
Device ID PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_1059&SUBSYS_1634148D&REV_08\3&61AAA01&0&50
Device Type Internal Modem
______________________________________-
Resource Device
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 9 ATI Technologies Inc. 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X
IRQ 9 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 9 Broadxent V.92 PCI DI3631-1
IRQ 9 Riptide Bus / Firmware Downloader
IRQ 9 Rockwell HCF 56K Data Fax PCI Modem
I don't know if this answers enough of what you need to know or not.
Thanks

Collapse -
A little better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2005 9:53 AM PST

The hardware of the PC was listed but what about how the drivers were installed (note where they came from and more.)

Microsoft does not do this for us and there are no "generic" drivers.

Also, there is spyware that can damage the internet connection. Your post didn't tell if it ever worked, so I can't tell if we need to cover that.

Bob

Collapse -
Hope this is it.
by CityStar / March 31, 2005 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: A little better.

I'm not sure how to answer because when I purchased the H. P. 6470Z computer everything was in it. Maybe the information below can answer if not, I'm lost._I may not be smart enough to answer you questions..The drive were added my Microsoft, I assume. _______________________________________________
Item Value
Drive A:
Description 3 1/2 Inch Floppy Drive

Drive E:
Description Removable Disk

Drive C:
Description Local Fixed Disk
Compressed False
Size 37.27 GB (40,023,212,032 bytes)
Free Space 30.06 GB (32,273,833,984 bytes)
Drive Description Disk drive
Drive Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
Drive MediaLoaded True
Drive Partitions 2

Drive H:
Description Local Fixed Disk
Compressed False
Size 37.27 GB (40,023,212,032 bytes)
Free Space 37.21 GB (39,954,382,848 bytes)
Drive Description Disk drive
Drive Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
Drive MediaLoaded True
Drive Partitions 2

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name XXXXXX
System Manufacturer 00101250 6470
System Model 03733600009043
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 5 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~400 Mhz
BIOS Version PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0.L
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
Locale United States
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 97,776 KB
Available Physical Memory 3,940 KB
Total Virtual Memory 692,236 KB
Available Virtual Memory 362,916 KB
Page File Space 594,460 KB
______________________________________________---

Collapse -
That helped.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2005 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Hope this is it.
Collapse -
firgot something
by CityStar / March 31, 2005 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: A little better.

The computer was purchased Feb 1999.
The spyware is s download from the Microsoft's site. One of their own. (problem was there before the spyware)
It is working and finds all the spyware and I can see what it is before I delete. But the computer began this problem over a year ago. It is just getting worse. It started stop loading data long before I has a tech to work on it. If only someone knew what component cortrols the loading of the data it may correct the problem. That is the only problem..it connects,,,,then the lite goes out and the data stop coming into my computer. Then it lights back up and the data begin loading again........??????

Collapse -
Hold on. So the machine does work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2005 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: firgot something

I was under the impression it was not functional.

Sorry I missed that. Hope you find your new issue and what causes it.

Bob

Collapse -
????
by CityStar / April 3, 2005 2:42 PM PDT

Think about it, if my computer did not function could I send this post?......nevermind....it appears every place, every person, that is suppose to know computers does not have an answer..simply "What component controls the loading of data?" Even the ones that say they can build a computer.
I am so disgusted with such a, seem to be a simple computer literate person question and no one know what component in a computer, loads the data....

What little gadget inside a computer that is in there for the data to flow from the outside of a computer, (be it telephone or cable or wireless,) into the computer and the data show up on the screen.

That little gadget, is what is not functioning correctly. It load, stop loading and start back loading, off and on, off and on.. when it stops loading data the computer just sit there with whatever is showing on the screen until it start back loading...then the screen change to new data..sometime up to two minutes or longer..(But during the "stopped action" the computer does not disconnect from the source.)

Oh well...........what else is new!......Thanks for taking time on your previous input..I will try elsewhere, prehaps another forum...There must be someone, somewhere.

Collapse -
You are seeing a side effect of...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2005 9:27 PM PDT
In reply to: ????

Incomplete to totally missing diagnostics in the design of the PC. I'm am embedded controls designer and I known the PC design better than I let on.

Your disgust is because no one can pinpoint your issue. Let me be blunt and write "Sorry!" but the PC design does not include any diagnostics to do this. The fallout is that we have to scratch for all the details we can gather and then make a best guess. Your initial post was woefully lacking in detail so I get to go back and forth and never did find out if the software drivers are up to date.

Again this is NOT YOUR FAULT.

The result is the fix method is not that anyone will tell you to tighten the nut on some component because the diagnostics failed but to swap out a modem or other board, install drivers, configure it and see if the issue vanishes.

I write this without any feelings either way about you or the subject. This is the current state of the art and it's a sad one.

Bob

Collapse -
Glad you were not
by CityStar / April 5, 2005 7:05 AM PDT

Thanks for your answer. I am glad you were not offended and I meant no intent to offend. Just disgusted.
I thought I explained, prehaps I did not. The drivers were updated, the hard drive was replaced also the modem, with new ones. Programs were upgraded.

I was thinking, in the way computers are made there must be a central part, not just "a part" of a computer that operates a certain part of it's action. For instance, the sound card would control the sound and one would not look someplace else for the sound but check the sound card first then proceed. The inflow/outflow data comes through some component, I assumed.. somewhere. I just don't know where. I know computers are complicated with todays technology and does not expect one bolt to be turned and no more problems.

I live in a small town and there are not a lot of computer knowledgeable techs here. But after some talk with a few here, I now assume it must be somewhere in the motherboard/cpu that carries the data in and out of the computer and prehaps that is the part that is going bad...
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am sure you get more than enough emails to answer. Thanks again and I will further pursue with the techs to see what we can come up with.,..

Collapse -
A few issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 7:23 AM PDT

1. http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/440bx/ near the bottom notes your Intel BX .INF chipset driver package.

2. Since this is quite an older machine and you are using a PCI WINMODEM, you may find this not to be a good idea. Beg, borrow, steal a RS232 (or serial) modem and see if that clears up the issue. These are HARDWARE MODEMS and will work without requiring the host CPU to work or the PCI revision to be spot on.

Item 2 is what I'm going with here.

Bob

Collapse -
PCI WINMODEM,
by xerpor / April 5, 2005 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: A few issues.

Looks like that's what came with the machine but in his first post he says he is now on Cable so I don't think that modem is in use.

Sounds like something the Cable Company people need to look into?

Happy

Collapse -
Then a recap is required.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: PCI WINMODEM,

That dual connection data display (whatever you want to call it) is usually shown for dial up.

Ethernet connections are easy. But the number of people that get the wrong cable, worms or more send support into a nosedive.

If the modem is not in use, unplug it and let's start again from the top.

Bob

Collapse -
Try a Winsock repair
by xerpor / April 5, 2005 1:14 PM PDT

CityStar, try the Winsock Repair Tool, that may do the trick.

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

I has a friend that had a problem much like yours and this solved it instantly. However, that was on dailup .....

Although since this same thing has been happening to you through two different operating systems I'm not sure. Unless you have the same spy remover making the same mistake over and over. Is your spy remover updated?

If this does not take care of it I would suggest you reload the drivers for your mobo. You should have a CD that came with the PC. You may have gotten a bad drive download from Windows Update. Never download their driver updates.

Happy

Collapse -
Winsock repair Tool
by CityStar / April 7, 2005 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Try a Winsock repair

Thanks for this information. I will give that a try and see what I come up with.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.