Cameras forum

General discussion

Help and advice needed by an "Undecided User".

by bizyb0n3 / April 2, 2007 2:09 AM PDT

Hello everyone,

I feel the need to buy a digital camera. I want to start dabbling with photography but at the moment I don't know much about it at all. I am considering purchasing a digital camera, I reside in the UK, and I have a friend coming here from the US. I understand stuff is much cheaper there. The maximum I can spend on a camera is 300 US dollars.

I have found a very reasonably priced Kodak Z612 for 189 US dollars.

This looks good and seems reasonable. Any advice regarding this camera? I think it seems a reasonable size as well because I don't want a camera that looks or is an SLR you know? It will just make me look wierd since I am planning to start...

My friend told me to check on some websites he suggested and then let him know. I am currently browsing through

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//site//olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat99300050008&type=category
www.frys.com
www.staples.com

If someone knows any other websites or places where I can look for good cameras at a cheaper price I would appreciate it.

Thanks all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help and advice needed by an "Undecided User".
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help and advice needed by an "Undecided User".
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
zoom
by bizyb0n3 / April 2, 2007 2:14 AM PDT

Also I would also like to ask whether getting a camera with high optical zoom is advisable for someone just starting...

Collapse -
Zoom
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 2, 2007 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: zoom

I see nothing wrong with getting a camera with a long zoom.

The Kodak Z612 has several features that are not found on beginner cameras. While you are learning the camera and more about photography, you can just leave the camera in "Auto" mode and enjoy.

When you get ready to delve further into photography, you have a camera that will grow with you.

The key to taking long zoom shots is to keep the camera steady.
The Z612 has image stabilization which is a big help, but you have to do your part too.

Collapse -
Digital Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 2, 2007 10:14 AM PDT

The Kodak Z612 is a very nice camera.

Here is a review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/z612.html

You listed some sites your friend mentioned, which are reliable sources.
You might also check at Amazon.com

The price of $189 seems too good to be true.

I checked several places and found $230 to be about the lowest.

Before you buy from the place that advertises the camera for $189 please do some homework.

There are many "bait and switch" on-line stores.
Most are located in Brooklyn, NY.
They advertise low prices, but will require that you call them to verify your order. Then they will try everything (honest and dishonest) to get you to spend more money. If you don't spend more money, they will not ship the camera.

If the website where you found the low price has a Brooklyn address.....beware.
If the website has no address....beware.

Do a Google search for the name of the company followed by the word .... review.

This should bring up several sites that report on on-line merchants
.... epinions.com is one such site.

If you care to reveal your source.....we will look it up for you.

Collapse -
Stores to stay away from
by blaine100 / April 3, 2007 4:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Digital Camera

I use this site:

http://www.resellerratings.com/

to figure out what people are saying about various stores I'm interested in purchasing something online from. Definitely a lot of sites to stay away from!

Collapse -
Thanks.
by bizyb0n3 / April 5, 2007 11:36 PM PDT

Thank you very much for your thorough response. As I said I am in the UK, and I have asked a friend returning from the US to get me a camera.

He gave me websites of stores like staples, and frys because they had shops near his house and he could go and pick up the stuff from there. One of the sites he told me to have a look at was

www.bestbuy.com

and this is the site where it has Kodak z612 for $182 which I hope will be in stock where my friend lives (Texas)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat99300050008&type=category&parentCatID=false&initialize=false&_requestid=63824

these are a list of other advanced point & shoot cameras they have the Kodak was the most cheapest and the one which seems like a reasonable one.

So I suppose I will be getting the Kodak z612. There seem to be reasonable reviews for it, and there are good and bad reviews for everything.

Another person is offering to sell me a used Fuji Finepix s5600, but I checked it out and it seems to "business-like" if I can call it that...and also is an older model as compared to the Kodak. So I am going to pass that offer...

Anyway, Thanks for your response, I will let you know once I get the camera. I hope my friend gets it though, he is being extremely lazy about it all!

Collapse -
Digital Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 6, 2007 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks.

Best Buy should be a good source.

Looks like you found a bargain.

Collapse -
Got my new Kodak z612
by bizyb0n3 / April 19, 2007 1:43 AM PDT

Hello,

Just to let you guys know I did get the Kodak z612, I have not gotten a chance to check it out properly but from what little I did it seems to be just the kind of thing I was looking for!
Thanks for your advice.
One more thing though, the camera came without a bag. Any suggestions as to which kind of bag I should buy?

Collapse -
Camera Bag
by Baper / April 19, 2007 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Got my new Kodak z612

One of my favorite bags for compact cameras and accessories is the Pod Pouch - small, medium or large made by RoadWired. They also make one called the Pod which is more expensive but has pockets everywhere. Lowepro also makes a pod bag. Check out ebags.com.

Collapse -
Starting Tutorials on Photography Basics on Manual Settings.
by bizyb0n3 / April 20, 2007 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Camera Bag

Yeah I checked ebags out...I am in the UK and those bags seem to be a little out of my budget. I am a poor university student you see...anyway, I'll keep an eye out for any bargains that I manage to find.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to how start photography? I mean I want to be able to use the manual settings in my camera, any useful tutorials? websites? Anything at all?

Collapse -
Short Course in Digital Photography
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 12:42 PM PDT

It depends upon which manual settings you are interested in.

Here is a link to a free Short Course.
It covers some of the manual controls.
After you finish it.....ask us again.
And be more specific.

http://www.shortcourses.com/using/index.htm

Collapse -
Stay away from Fry's or Fry's.com!!!!
by njg123 / April 24, 2007 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks.

Stay away from Fry's, either the store or its website. I have found that they are very disreputable.

Collapse -
!
by fionndruinne / April 28, 2007 7:45 PM PDT

Fry's is not disreputable, and you should not throw mud for no good reason.

Collapse -
I agree don't throw mud!!
by ptsurfer / August 20, 2007 2:22 AM PDT

When throwing mud,at least facts should follow. Anyone can be a general critic. I have dealt with Fryy.com several times now and they have been very responsive and shipped quickly and what I ordered!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?