Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Help An Old Geezer

by rageorge / June 15, 2007 10:44 AM PDT

I'm interested in purchasing an MP3 player of some sort and am interested in music only. I have no interest in video and really don't care if it has still photo capability. I mainly want to record CDs from my collection and take them with me when I travel. (I'm tired of lugging my Sony Discman and CDs on and off airplanes) I'm not even concerned about downloading music from the internet as my primary interest is classical music and there's not that much out there to download anyway. I do want a lot of capacity as I would like to get as much of my collection on the MP3 player as possible. I've been looking at iPods (30GB) but don't want to spend money to get video capability that I will probably never use. Help??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help An Old Geezer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help An Old Geezer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My neighbor has the 80GB iPod.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Help An Old Geezer

They don't play videos on it so that's your choice. They also picked up a nice speaker/dock/clock radio/charger and love it.

It's a nice setup.

Bob

Collapse -
You may not want these capabilities, but.....
by ktreb / June 15, 2007 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Help An Old Geezer

...players such as the iPod (30/80 GB) or the Creative Zen Vision M (30/60 GB), give you more bang for your buck. In fact, per gigabyte, a hard drive player such as the 5th Gen iPod (that happens to have video) is much cheaper than a lower capacity flash based player (that may or may not have video). I'll stick with the iPod for comparison purposes:

30 GB iPod = $249, $8.30 per GB
80 GB iPod = $349, $4.36 per GB
8 GB iPod Nano (flash memory, no video, but picture capable) = $249, $31.13 per GB
1 GB iPod Shuffle (flash memory, no screen, therefore no video or pictures) = $79, $79 per GB

Virtually all current high capacity mp3 players have video and photo viewing capability. You don't have to use them.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by rageorge / June 17, 2007 10:59 PM PDT

Thanks Bob and ktreb. Your info and advice were very helpful. The price comparison really makes the case for going with the 80GB iPod. I'm going to start looking for a good deal.

Another question: Is there a particular software program that's better than the others for copying CDs? I have RealPlay, and Windows Media Player (bsic versions) now and/or will appropriate software come with the iPod?

Thanks for your patience with dumb questions.

Collapse -
Copying CDs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2007 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

I wonder if you meant "ripping" the CD to be used on that iPod. iTunes does that just fine.

Bob

Collapse -
"Ripping" Cds
by rageorge / June 18, 2007 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Copying CDs.

Yes, if "ripping" means copying a CD to the iPod, that's what I mean. I assume iTunes software comes with the iPod or can be downloaded. I also assume that the process would be to "rip" the CD (which would record it on my computer) and then download it to the iPod? Or can a CD be sent to the iPod in one step? I am concerned about how long it's going to take to get a CD ripped and downloaded. Is this going to be a lengthy process?

Again, apologies for such elementary questions.

Collapse -
Some answers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2007 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: "Ripping" Cds

"Yes, if "ripping" means copying a CD to the iPod, that's what I mean. I assume iTunes software comes with the iPod or can be downloaded. I also assume that the process would be to "rip" the CD (which would record it on my computer) and then download it to the iPod?"

Yes to all that.

"Or can a CD be sent to the iPod in one step? I am concerned about how long it's going to take to get a CD ripped and downloaded. Is this going to be a lengthy process?"

No, it's a 2 step. You add it to your collection and then mark it to be synced to your iPod. The time is so low here I can't tell you how many minutes I spent at this.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Again
by rageorge / June 19, 2007 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Some answers.

Thanks again for all of your help. Much appreciated.

Collapse -
Help
by Silly Millie / July 29, 2008 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Copying CDs.

I have recently purchased an Ipod Nano, but, for some reason I am unable to copy music from my cd's to my Ipod.
Do I have to do this through Itunes?
I have tried doing it both with & without itunes. The music does copy to the Ipod, but my Ipod doesnt register it. Though when i open my ipod on my laptop i can see what has been copied to it!

HELP!!

Collapse -
Do I have to do this through Itunes?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2008 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Help

I did. However I did run into someone with some MP3 CD and that required extra steps.

Collapse -
Help
by Silly Millie / July 30, 2008 11:54 AM PDT

So I HAVE to use iTunes?

Collapse -
you should
by ktreb / July 30, 2008 3:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Help

At least at first. You can use something like Floola, but I believe you still need to use iTunes to set some preferences on the iPod.

I don't really get why you can't get your iPod to register your music, so I'm going to go through a few steps that you should have gone through:

1. You ripped cds to your computer using iTunes. Ripping cds via iTunes is optional. You can use any program as long as you rip into a format that iTunes can use, such as mp3. (default for Windows Media Player is WMA and the default for iTunes is AAC)

2. If you didn't use iTunes to rip, you still added them to your iTunes library (this is nearly automatic when you first install iTunes), so that when you open up iTunes, you see all of your music, right?

3. You plugged iPod into computer with iTunes already running and iTunes recognizes iPod.

4. You should see your iPod in the main window. Under options, do you have anything checked off? If you have "manually manage music" and "enable disk" use checked off, uncheck them by selecting them again. Then click on "sync" and everything in your iTunes library should copy onto your iPod. If you don't have enough room on the iPod, then it will copy as much as it can until it fills up.

If this still doesn't help, you could take some screen shots of what you're doing with iTunes and your iPod and post them to someplace like Flickr. Post your links and maybe someone here can see if you're doing anything wrong.

But before you go that far...try looking at the tutorials on Apple's website. Here's a link:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/tutorials/#jukebox

Good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?