Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

HELP! AMD 64 BIT!

by BradleyOuimet / August 1, 2004 5:05 PM PDT

Yesterday night i built my computer. It Consists of. AMD 2800 64 Bit, 512 of RAM, Geforce FX 5200 128 mb,80 gig harddrive and 15 gig harddrive, Dvd and cd player/ burner. Now thats all fine and dandy. after all the hard work to get it running, It blue screens (crashes) about once every two restarts, and goes kinda slower than i excpected (but maybe thats just cause im picky). anyway im just wondering if anyone can help me find out why its blue screening. It bluescreens when im trying to load things like a webpage. nothing crazy. also if anyone can give me any information about the 64 bit processor id appreciate.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Re: HELP! AMD 64 BIT!
by BradleyOuimet / August 1, 2004 5:08 PM PDT
In reply to: HELP! AMD 64 BIT!

Also, Could this be due to heat? cause it says the temperature is 140 in the system and 111 or so in the case or wahtever.

Collapse -
About heat and power.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2004 9:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: HELP! AMD 64 BIT!

You can sniff out the heat issue by leaving the case cover off.

Your list of parts didn't include the power supply. The AMD 64 may draw off 100 Watts on its own. Your PSU will be in the 450 or better Watts or you may get the occasional lockup.

Thoughts:

Try http://www.memtest86.com
Latest BIOS or don't complain.
Bios defaults or don't complain.
Complain to the supplier.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: About heat and power.
by BradleyOuimet / August 2, 2004 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: About heat and power.

I think my power supply is only 350 Watts. This is a problem? not enough power to go around? Also if the problem is heat, is there an alternitive way to cool it down? Other than of course taking the sides off, or cutting a hole for a new fan. I would put a new fan in just im not to fond of cutting a hole in the case. thanks for the reply bob, i was hoping you would have an answer because you have helped me out in the past.

Collapse -
Yes. 350 is quite the low end.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 5:57 AM PDT

The CPU alone would carve out 100 of that, then 20 for each drive (HD, CDROM, DVD, etc.) Many fit 2 hard disks and a dvd/cd combo. We have 70 Watts left and then a 3D card can be from 40 to 70 so that leaves... nothing.

You can Tomshardware guide about power supplies and how to pick one, but for now... I offer how to sniff out the heat issue and that power is on the low side. Remove what you can.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Yes. 350 is quite the low end.
by BradleyOuimet / August 2, 2004 11:31 PM PDT

well my dad went to the store yesterday and got this expensive fan that i think is awesome. it supposabley cools an amd 64 bit down 40 degrees. i have a little conrtol on the front of my computer that i can turn up or down. That should cut out some of the heat bother i have. ill take a looksy at toms hardware.

Collapse -
Re: Yes. 350 is quite the low end.
by gobob2 / August 5, 2004 8:59 AM PDT

What kind of cooling fan did he get? Im looking for a good fan. Thanks

Collapse -
the fan
by BradleyOuimet / August 5, 2004 9:39 AM PDT

I got this awesome fan only for the Processor called the Venus 12 by thermaltake. ITs an awesome fun with about three differnet ways to use it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!