Computer Help forum

General discussion

Help! All my MP3 and video files disappeared today

by atimeonearth / March 11, 2008 5:40 PM PDT

The last thing I did was install then uninstall a streaming media player called Veoh. That was yesterday.

Today I turn on my computer... all my music files and video files were gone. GONE. I had probably 4 gigs of music alone.

After some research I suspect:

A) malicious antipiracy code hidden in a downloadable program such as Veoh

B) antipiracy virus

C) Hard disk trouble. I used a shareware recovery program, which seemed to get about 70%-80% of my songs back, but the filenames and songs are now scrambled, sometimes starting with one song and ending with another. In other words, completely screwed.

I have Windows XP running on an AMD Athlon 3500.

Any help appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! All my MP3 and video files disappeared today
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! All my MP3 and video files disappeared today
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oh, and
by atimeonearth / March 11, 2008 5:43 PM PDT

Oh... I already ran AVG free antivirus and rootkit. Nothing showed up. Assuming they have this type of virus (W32 music deleter) covered, then it has to be something other than a "virus".

Collapse -
Re: files gone
by Kees Bakker / March 11, 2008 6:37 PM PDT

All I can say: that's why we backup. If we don't backup, we risk to lose files, as your case shows.

Kees

Collapse -
o rly
by atimeonearth / March 11, 2008 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: files gone

No shet sherlock. Jesus Christ.

update: ran norton symanetec trial (highly invasive program btw) and it came up with nothing viral.

the fact that the songs were actually scrambled makes me think it was a hard disk issue. but google searches suggest scrambling is something that can be done by viruses or malicious code as well.

recovered videos have not been scrambled so far.

Collapse -
Have you...
by Papa Echo / March 11, 2008 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: o rly

...make sure that they are really gone ? Have you make a search for them by file name and extension ? Sometimes, files and folders got moved to another location... See whether you still have the program folder for Voch(?) (the media program you installed and uninstalled) That program may have transfered all your media files to its program folder...

Collapse -
Careful .. .same happened to me
by fepa79 / March 12, 2008 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: o rly

Hey, be really careful. Make sure you backup your hard drive data right away.

The same thing happened to me, resulting in complete data loss:

Monday I realized all my MP3s had dissapeared, leaving me 10 GB of "Free space" in my hard drive.

Tuesday, PC works ok, but starts to show strange symptoms: slow to process, some process errors, etc

Wednesday: I got a blue screen stating a memory dump as a result a failed disk. Tried many things (including running system recovery, chksdk, etc). Last errors I got said MBR error (that is an error on the Master Boot Record) which means my hard disk partition is failing.

Now I can't even boot as the system doesn't even recognize the hard drive, I might have lost every piece of information on my drive. Fortunately, I have a CD backup for my most important files, but I still lost the last 3 months of data and a lot of "not important" files I had.

Tomorrow I'll try to connect the disk to another PC and see what happens, maybe I still can recover something.

Just wanted you to be aware that you should (MUST?) back up your important files ASAP. I can't guarantee your problem is the same I had, but at least the symptoms are the same...

Good luck, please keep us posted.

Collapse -
since your first two "worries" are ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 12, 2008 8:50 AM PDT
A) malicious antipiracy code hidden in a downloadable program such as Veoh

B) antipiracy virus

One must suspect that your music was not legally yours and CNET policies prohibit anyone from assisting with piracy or any of its consequences.

Yes Sherlock that is right.
Collapse -
LOCKED...
by John.Wilkinson / March 12, 2008 9:00 AM PDT

Sorry, but your references to "antipiracy code" and "antipiracy virus" imply that the content you have lost was, at least in part, pirated. Thus, while there is a clear-cut explanation for why that happened to you, this discussion can go no further. If you believe this lock was in error feel free to submit an offensive post alert with your reasoning.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?