General discussion

Help,all I get is a blue screen and mac won't boot from disk

mac pro, dual core intel, tiger 10.4, 2 gig ram

I was working along when my screen went gray and a message popped up saying i had to restart my computer. I attempted to restart and only get as far as a blank blue screen. I tried zapping the p-ram, didn't help. I am also unable to start from my factory install disk. I've tried holding down the C and D keys and also a combo of command, option, shift & delete while starting, no options are working. Any ideas?

One other thing, when this happened I was using the parallels dual boot program and was working with Quickbooks on the MS-XP OS.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Help,all I get is a blue screen and mac won't boot from disk
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help,all I get is a blue screen and mac won't boot from disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Got it started by unplugging everything.

ran disk utility "verify" and all was good. any other maintenance procedures you would recommend?

- Collapse -
You have already zapped the PRAM

and run disk utility.

Unless you have some other "tools" on hand, Onyx for example, there is not much else to do

When you say everything, does that include power?

Could be that the logic board got a little confused there and needed to "rest" a while

P

- Collapse -
No, kept power plugged in

but disconnected everything other than the monitor. After it started up I started to plug in all the peripherals and restarted the computer and it started up ok. So far so good. If it happens again I'll try unplugging one thing at a time and restart to see if I can identify the culprit.

But the question still remains, why can't I boot from my Tiger disc? It's a factory copy and what is installed on my machine.

- Collapse -
(NT) You may need to give it a go with a DVD cleaner

CNET Forums