Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

HELP, Ad aware keeps giving error on install and spybot wont

by Native_Texan / January 5, 2005 6:29 AM PST

spybot wont install! I am having major issues with friends pc. trying to help.
xp pro,100 gb on d drive and 15 gb on c drive, p4,

I was getting a message pop up wVnspool.exe trying to access internet. I say no and try to install ad aware spybot and cw shredder. get error with all three. only spyware blaster will work. i am using RR and have Firefox.
I have searched for wVnspool.exe and can not find it on the pc. I was able to run stinger which someone suggested.
after trying to install adaware and spybot
when reading the error reports details to send to microsoft.. I select details and I get 36 module errors and thread 1 starts
errors read something and says a log will be listed in
C: Document~1\ED~1\Locals~1\Temp\4220_appcompat.txt
e754_appcompat.txt
and so on...

bottom line I can not find out what the problem is on why I can not install and run these programs.
does anyone have any clues on this?
thanks so much, Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP, Ad aware keeps giving error on install and spybot wont
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP, Ad aware keeps giving error on install and spybot wont
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Texas, Just Some Suggestions....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 5, 2005 12:52 PM PST

Please read the link below for another instance of the "wVnspool.exe" issue:

Solution Title: Varment loose and can't catch

Be sure to download and run the HijackThis program if you can't remove it with the instructions in the link above. Download, run, then post the HijackThis log by following the instructions at the link below:

How to use HijackThis and where to post the log.

The "Appcomp.txt" file/error is normally created when there is a conflict between programs, drivers, and such. Reformatting doesn't always fix the issue and my best suggestion would be to install the most current drivers for the video card first, then move on to the other drivers such as audio, modem, ethernet, BIOS, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks
by Native_Texan / January 7, 2005 9:58 AM PST

Grif,
that gives me somewhere to look.. so far i had only found the experts exchange article. will try to get to the bottom of this.
also it seems his system has kazaa and limewire etc...
I think from what little i know.. these can cause major issues as well. let me know if you think of anything else to try.
thanks again, and happy new year
Happy

Collapse -
You ran Housecall??
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 7, 2005 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Go for free online Virus scans here:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus

Be sure and put a check in the box by "Auto Clean" before you do the scan. If it finds anything that it cannot clean have it delete it or make a note of the file location so you can delete it yourself.

You also could try:

download a free evaluation copy of a trojan scanner and perform a trojan scan. Be sure to update first. This program should be used in conjunction with an AV as it is a dedicated trojan removal program.
http://www.TrojanHunter.com

and you even could try:

Trend Micro's Sysclean Package

http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp

Pls. let us know how you are doing Wink

Collapse -
Thanks for these tips as well
by Native_Texan / January 8, 2005 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: You ran Housecall??

I am going to try and help over the phone with these tips since the pc is not with me. If it cant be done that way, then I will make time to go over next week sometime and try to help. thanks so much Happy

Collapse -
You Are Very Welcome - pls. let us know how you
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 8, 2005 2:52 AM PST

are doing.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Finally had to reload XP, (fingers crossed now)
by Native_Texan / January 17, 2005 8:16 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?