General discussion

Help a student with a very Short Study of XP please

Hi Everyone

I'm just wondering if this is the right place to ask or if it's allowed, but would any of you please help me?

I am a degree student and have chosen to write about how the interface looks and acts between 2 different systems (Windows XP and another undefined one).

I would like to post a short questionnaire of some description on here. I am looking for people with all different skill levels to answer the questions if possible.

Its very basic - the task I am covering is how to shut down a netbook, thats it.

Please can you help?? If i get a few responses I will post the questionnaire asap.

Look forward to your support.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Help a student with a very Short Study of XP please
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Help a student with a very Short Study of XP please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
But since XP has a few variations on that.

For example I can have that XP Orb showing, or have a classic windows 2000 start button or other variations and it's still XP.

How can you cover the 5 or more interfaces plus the setting of the power button?

Here's the bottom line. There is no standard here. We can create one if we want so skip the research and just document what you have?
Bob

- Collapse -
do u mean installing 2 different OS on 1PC?

hi ,there.I just did not understand yr question.

do u mean installing 2 different OS on 1PC?

if it is so, u can do the following: installing the Windowsxp in the driver/disk C;another OS( better not XP edition)in the driver D.
hope to be helpful.
thk u
tor

- Collapse -
REPLY TO MY STUDY

Sorry for any confusion. The only thing i require is for you to answer questions on Windows XP, thats it.

As far as covering all the interfaces I'm basing my study on default installation. The test parameters have to be the same 4everyone otherwise the study will have no meaning.

Since I cannot come visit you all in person to perform an observation study, I have adapted my questions for users on a forum. Hope that helps.

I will post the questionnaire since the moderators/administrators have not declined this thread.

- Collapse -
The default varies.

I've seen it change from maker to maker and from retail to some OEM.

Your study has a tiny flaw in it.

Plus the forums (see the forum policies) don't support surveys.

Your post is now locked.
Bob

- Collapse -
QUESTIONNAIRE - PLEASE SPEND A FEW MINUTES AND HELP

XP Usability Study?

The purpose of the study is find out how easy it is to shut down a netbook/laptop style computer.

Would you kindly complete this questionnaire, I have kept the questions are kept as a brief as possible. This will help me with an assignment for my Foundation Degree. I have asked for your name and email but this is optional, otherwise I will not ask for any personal details and these results will only to be used to support my university work.

Q1. What operating systems have you used in the past? Windows / Linux / BSD / Mac / Other

Q2. how do you rate Windows XP Interface compared to the previous systems you have used?
(easier to use / similar to use / harder to use / not applicable)

Q3. What is your skill level on XP? Beginner / Competent / Expert

Q4. Which method would you use to shut down a laptop/netbook?

Mouse or Touch Pad / Terminal / Keyboard / Other ______________

Q5. How would you rate the interface in terms of shutting down the computer for the following: (NOTE - 1 is Poor, 5 is Good)

Wording/Language used on shut down menus -
Graphic/Icons easy to follow -

Q6. Would you find it easier if you could shut down using any of the following:

(i) Motion (move your hand over a sensor)
(ii) Speech (speak in to a microphone)
(iii) Hit a single key (on the keyboard)
(iv) Icon (click a short cut on the desktop)
Other: _____________________________________

Q7. Please leave any comments here on shutting down using XP or for general comments on the questionnaire)

THAT'S IT, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

Please return just your answers here on the forum

CNET Forums

Forum Info