Computer Help forum

Question

Help a sista out, guys.

by wowisuckattheinternet / June 23, 2013 4:53 PM PDT

okay guys, I really need help with my computer. I know the basics of working one but I don't really understand the super technical stuff so just please bear with me here. I have a Toshiba Satellite L755 which runs on Windows 7 Home Premium. Anyways, today my laptop randomly stopped connecting to my wifi. One minute it was fine, then I put it in sleep mode, went back on an hour later and my touch pad was frozen and where the wifi bars display in the bottom right hand corner, it's now just a white outlined box with a red X through it. It says "No connections available" even though every other device in my house is carrying on as normal and there's no problems, so I know something's going wrong with my laptop. I connected a mouse through the USB port so I'm able to maneuver my screen now, and when I click on the box with the red X, it gives the option to troubleshoot, which I've clicked, which then runs Windows Network Diagnostics. Right away it stop and says "Problem Found: The Diagnostic Policy Service is not running" and an option underneath says "Try these repairs as an administrator" so I clicked that and then right away it says the problem was "detected" but nothing has changed. I've never had any issues like this before, I didn't change any settings and the only thing out of the ordinary I've done recently was download iTunes/music last night?? Which they were running really smoothly and didn't seem to cause any issues at all. Anyways if you read this entire thing you're seriously awesome and if you could give me suggestions on what to do that would be so great.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help a sista out, guys.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help a sista out, guys.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
By any chance ...
by Edward ODaniel / June 26, 2013 2:21 PM PDT

have you or some friend "optimized" the laptop by disabling "unnecessary services" ?

Reboot the computer and log on with an Administrator account. Then go to this site and compare your services with what are listed in the DEFAULT column for the actual version you are running. Most of the defaults will be the same but several vary by version:
http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

As someone else noted, that laptop tends to run a bit hot and heat can cause many various problems that might seem unrelated. ,ake sure its vents are clean and clear and that the fan is working.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) I'd start with rebooting and try again.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 23, 2013 5:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
well
by wowisuckattheinternet / June 23, 2013 10:55 PM PDT

I already tried that a bunch of times... even taking out the battery, unplugging my wifi thing and restarting it, like literally nothing is helping it.

Collapse -
Answer
check your hardware and drivers
by Aizamach / June 26, 2013 8:24 AM PDT

Good afternoon, wowisuckattheinternet.
Unfortunately, I also had problems with this model of laptop in the past. It used to get quite hot, until I had problems with the video card. Then I sent for service and came back, I sold it for fear of more.
You should check the status of your hardware, if you use Windows 7, go to Start - Control Panel - System, and then on the top and at the left side, click DEVICE MANAGER. Check if there are no problems at HUMAN INTERFACE DEVICES and then at NETWORK ADAPTERS. If you find something wrong, you can do right click and then Enable, if something is disabled, or you can reinstall the drivers automatically, just right click on any device and then select UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE, then select SEARCH AUTOMATICALLY FOR DRIVERS and continues the process of updating your drivers when Windows automatically find the best driver that works with your system. If you have any other device that works on WIFI and also began to present problems simultaneously to your laptop, this maybe your wifi router has problems, and not your laptop.
If you can't solve these problems yourself, it would be good to wear to a service you trust. In some cases, a small broken wire between your wireless module and its antenna, avoid you from receiving signal. An honest technician will not charge you much to fix. Wish you luck and that your problem is resolved quickly. I hope I have helped in some way. I'm available. Greetings from Paraguay.

Collapse -
Answer
Just had a similar problem
by Bob_Meyer / June 30, 2013 9:45 AM PDT

We just had a similar problem on my wife's Win 7 Home Premium Lenovo Netbook. The symptoms were similar, some services wouldn't start, including the Event Notification Service, which records events like software and hardware failures, and no WiFi connections. The internal WiFi card had failed enough to mess up the boot sequence, but not enough to be detected as a hardware failure.

The solution is to open the Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, right click on the thing that sounds something like "11 b/g/n Wireless LAN PCI Express Half Mini Card Adapter", and click on "Disable." That will disable your built-in WiFi adapter. If that's the problem, then your laptop will boot normally, but you won't be able to find any WiFi connections. Get a USB WiFi adapter, you can get find them at department stores (WalMart, Target), electronics stores (Best Buy), office supply stores (Office Depot, Office Max, Staples), or online. I wouldn't spend more than $25. I've personally had good luck with refurbished WiFi adapters, for whatever that's worth.

Anyway, that fixed my problem, hope it helps with yours.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?