HolidayBuyer's Guide

Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

HELP!! -A problem occurred initializing directdraw

by LDSBC / November 20, 2010 5:39 AM PST

I recently installed windows 7 on my Dell Precision M70. I also Installed Halo(It has already been on this computer with XP before). When I start the game It gives me a message saying-A problem occurred initializing directdraw. I have already installed a new version of directX(DirectX 11) but to no avail. I cannot find a solution. Any ideas would help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP!! -A problem occurred initializing directdraw
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP!! -A problem occurred initializing directdraw
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See what dxdiag says.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 20, 2010 5:59 AM PST

Goto the Start bubble and if there is no Run command shortcut there, type Run in the search box.

Run should appear at the top of the menu. Open that, and type in dxdiag in the new window, and click OK.

The DirectX diagnostics should display. Try all the tests and see if any errors are reported.

Mark

Collapse -
Running DxDiag
by LDSBC / November 20, 2010 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: See what dxdiag says.

I did it says
directdraw Acceleration: not available
Direct3d Acceleration: not available
AGP Texture acceleration: not available

Collapse -
About that upgrade
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 20, 2010 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: Running DxDiag

When you did the upgrade did you check with Dell or the video card manufacturer for any Windows 7 video card drivers?

It seems from Microsoft that the errors that include, "directdraw Acceleration: not available", relates to the video card.

While the video card generally seems OK after this upgrade to Windows 7 it looks like DirectX won't work with it unless an upgraded graphics driver is available;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191660

Mark

Collapse -
Got it
by LDSBC / November 24, 2010 1:31 PM PST
In reply to: About that upgrade

Go to device manager>display devices>Properties>drivers>driver updates>Find Automatically online... Thats it!!!

Collapse -
That's good.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 24, 2010 7:48 PM PST
In reply to: Got it

Does that mean you're fixed? If so, excellent news, and congratulations.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.