Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Help! A hacker has a personal vendetta against me.

by mariposagrl / November 22, 2004 12:41 AM PST

In a nut shell, some whack job has a personal hang up with me and is hacking into my computer and the data that is sent from it. He is getting into my personal email accounts, intercepting emails I send, taking info and then mailing it to my boyfriend. This wacko is intent on ruining my relationship with my boyfriend. Could it be a jealous ex-boyfriend you ask, no because he is receiving emails from this wacko as well, P.S. he is in the military and in some crazy country. The wacko also hacked into my bfriends yahoo account and used it to send emails to my bfriend. We have changed all p/w's constantly but it hasn't helped.
I am so tired of this person and I am beginning to get paranoid about what this person may do if his email approach doesn't work. Will he take it to another level? That is what I am afraid of. I notified the local FBI office and reported this problem I am just waiting for a call back.
In the meantime does anyone recommend any software that I can install that will help catch and identify the hacker? I have a Mac computer, cable modem and a hardwired wire wall. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help! A hacker has a personal vendetta against me.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help! A hacker has a personal vendetta against me.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A hacker has a personal vendetta against me.
by dawillie / November 22, 2004 1:56 AM PST

you could download and insatall a software firewall known as Kerio Personal Firewall v. 2.1.5.

this is a discontinued version however it is still a very effective software firewall and adequate for the home user.

this is a rule based firewall which means that once executed it will ask your permission to allow/ deny applications other than the ones you have designated.

there is also a 'block all' rule that you can place at the end of your rules set and set the log to record all attempts to connect with your machine.

this should give you the IP addresses of all programs/ ppl who try and access your PC.

the link below not only takes you to the download site, but also explains what various terminology is and gives you an example of how to place a rule in your rule set.

Recommend you do a fresh install on your Mac, change your email settings/ password ensure your AV program has an email scanner that will identify and prevent from downloading and infected email.

in addition please go to

http://www.moosoft.com

and download and execute the 30 day shareware Trojan detector known as 'The Cleaner'.

I suspect the hacker has placed a Trojan on your HDD which can be manipulated from another machine.

finally go to the link below to d/l and install and learn about the software firewall.

http://blarp.com/faq/faqmanager.cgi?file=kerio_history&toc=kerio

please post back with results.

there are also several forums where Kerio and other rule based firewalls are discussed respecting rule sets and the like.

my email addy is in my profile should you need additional help with Kerio which i have been using for about 4 years and am therefore reasonably knowledgeable about it and how it works.

Collapse -
Re: A hacker has a personal vendetta against me.
by mariposagrl / November 22, 2004 5:07 AM PST

dawillie,

Thank you so much for the advice. I will try these and post whatever results I get. THANKS AGAIN!

Collapse -
Re: A hacker has a personal vendetta against me.
by dawillie / November 22, 2004 5:38 AM PST

please remember to check for keyloggers as well.

d/l and execute and run on a regular basis, Ad-Aware.

you can get the latest [free for home user] version here.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

this should be your final d/l after cleansing.

Collapse -
Beside firewall as dawillie has mention
by Gakada / November 22, 2004 2:19 AM PST

Check your pc for any infection (Virus, adware, spyware, keylogger etc.) and ask your BF to do the same.

--- if somekind of keylogger is installed on your pc, nothing you can do about it, this guy will always now it, because a keylogger will catch any key you press and can send it to the installer.---

Then You and your Boyfriend should change email address.

create several account on different webmail services, such as: mailblocks.com, bigfoot.com, hotmail.com, myway.com, yahoo.com, spymac.com etc.

So you can use alternatively.

Just a thought.

Collapse -
Mariposagrl, You May Not Have A Hacker At All
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 6:03 AM PST

I'm not doubting your information but please explain a little clearer about EXACTLY what is happening. How do you know this person is in the military in another country? Do you know who the person is?? Do you know this person's e-mail address (don't list it here) and have you notified their Internet Service provider? Forget about the password...Have you changed your e-mail address entirely? That should do it...

On the other hand, in your post above, you only mention issues that are the result of e-mail messages being directed to friends from your account and your boyfriends account. Are these messages infected with viruses? Is that what's happening?

If that's the case, then it sounds like one of the common viruses (Netsky, Bagle,etc.) that are able to "Spoof" the address of the sender. It works like this.....You send or forward a message to your boyfriend, or anyone for that matter, and that person forwards the message to a few more friends. Somewhere down the line, one of those computers becomes infected. The virus is able to "grab" your address, or your boyfriends address, or any other address that's on that computer and place it in the "From" line of the message. An infecte message is then sent to anyone else's address on the computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Mariposagrl, You May Not Have A Hacker At All
by mariposagrl / November 22, 2004 11:12 PM PST

Grif,
Ok. The hacker persons identity is unknown to me, but he (I assume it is a he) knows me, everything about me and my life to include my BF and his schedule/habits because the wacko had threatened to "teach him a lesson one night after he leaves his job". The third person included in this sick triangle is an ex of mine. This hacker person has some sick idea of who I should "be" with (I know this sounds really corny) and insists it is the Ex. The Ex is the one in the military and has been ruled out as the culprit for many reasons.
Who ever is doing this takes obvious pleasure in it because he writes to them remarks like "what do you think about this" or "you didn't believe me so read this" and includes whatever I have written to someone, often adding his own sick little twist to my words so that they appear to mean something that I did not intend, follow me?
What is happening is that the wacko is able to get into email accounts and also intercept data that is sent from my home pc out via a cable connection. My BF checked our laptop out last night and was unable to find any holes or signs of hackerage.
I have the wacko's email address and will forward one of his messages to the ISP and see what happens. Thanks for your message!

Collapse -
Mariposagrl, Make Sure To Cancel Your Current Accounts...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 23, 2004 12:08 AM PST

I would contact the police and give them all information you have. They'll do a better job of "ruling out" the correct people. Contact your ISP, give them all the information and eliminate your current e-mail addresses and accounts. (Both you and your boyfriend) Start new ones with entirely ID's and passwords and give this information to NO ONE for a while. NOT even to family members or friends. Same with your boyfriend. You don't really have a choice here. Do it...Wait for a while and only send messages between you and your boyfriend. See if the "wacko" is able to detect the new stuff. I doubt that the cable connection is hacked.

I suspect the "wacko" obtained your addresses from one of your friends/relatives and is using those addresses to harrass you and your boyfriend.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?