Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HELP ...a few questions from a guy who quit helpdesk job and blew out to thailand

by monkgonemad / April 7, 2004 5:05 PM PDT

after dealing with crappy bosses and even worse end losers - i bagged my job and went to live in thailand. lifes been good, few regrets but my father has fallen ill and i have to return to usa. im going to start up a tech support business - i could use any direction from the group.

w2k was just out of the box and xp in beta. im using xp in thecyber cafes here -but cant really dig in to it. answers kind people:

1. is there a site i can find more about xp home/pro and 2000 in detail? the microsoft site is daunting and tedious. where would i find cooltech stuff about the systems (such as ? below).

a. im under the impression that home has more bells and whistles for music/video, etc...pro is w2k with an xp interface -would that be a true statement? pro may be more a corporate/networking o.s. ??

b. i thought i had heard that these new o.s were 'self healing' in that -if i deleted a dll or vxd file incorrectly (a la w98) it would replace the file on reboot. judging by posts i see on this board, that may not be the case.

c. are there similar tools as winipconfig,msconfig...what are they and how to access?

d. i was poking around the microsoft site and it appears that service packs for xp/2000 can be saved to disk. is this true? what about msoffice? could anyone tellme which svcpacks the products are on?

e. can machines (1-2) controlled via xp (w2k?) with th ebuilt in s/w at < thanbroadband speeds?

f. authentication. many vendors are doing this. a friend bought some bootleg s/w -but he could not authenticate. are 'workarounds' available on the underground? you can confirm/deny no need to point meto anything here..

g. hyperthread - heardit just slows the machinedown. opinions please...

h. what do you think of the intel celery chip? buy a full on p4 or is money better spent on the celeron + someother goodie -for most end users not doing lan party or photoshop lets say...

h. is there anything akin to a 'cabs' file in xp/2000?where is it located on the discs (path). could you also remind me which full directory in w98 is copied over into options\cabsfrom the w98 disc as well?

i. best desktops and laptops out there now?? my hunchis the low end dell stuff will end up beingas crappy as gateway (us399). what do you think of ibm desktop for value? dell laptops?

j. im hearing dell support sucks. can anyone confirm?

i dont want to build pc's for people, the margins are not there and if ANYTHING goes wrong, its on me. we all know its never the hardware (or software) after theburn in -but customer percetion is otherwise.

ill post more later but would be very grateful for any and all help -

monk

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HELP ...a few questions from a guy who quit helpdesk job and blew out to thailand
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HELP ...a few questions from a guy who quit helpdesk job and blew out to thailand
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do your own research

Just like when people sometimes post homework questions here: do it yourself. Not only will you retain more info if you do this yourself, you can generally be sure of the accuracy of the info. I could give you answers that are complete crap and you probably wouldn't know the difference, but potential customers probably would.

Besides, if you hated doing computer support before, why do you want to get back into it? I doubt things have improved much, even if you're running a small consulting firm.

Collapse -
Surely Google is also available in Thailand??

Monk,

All your questions can be answered by Googling!

But if you have not been keeping up to date with W2K & XP HE or Pro you may not be ready to provide Tech Support when you get back home?

Also you should make full use of the tremendous resource in XP's Help & Support Center.

However with the growing trend of outsourcing/off-shoring Tech Support to foreign countries by the large corporations like IBM/HP/DELL you may just hit pay dirt if you provide in-home technical support provided you know what you are doing.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.