General discussion

HELP!!!!!!!!

I've upgraded from win 98 to xp but i don't have sound.
When i go to volume controller i get the foll. message" there are no active mixers available"
What do i do?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HELP!!!!!!!!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HELP!!!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Is the Forum Tip not showing?

While one could comment your Subject Title needs help, the Forum Tip should be heeded. It reads "Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

The usual loss of sound is simply because Microsoft does not install drivers for your hardware. That's not their job. You may need to identify the make/model of the machine, call the maker or do whatever is needed to find and install the audio drivers.

In some cases such as with Aureal sound cards, you get to replace the sound card.
Bob

- Collapse -
No Sound after upgrading to win xp

Is ther a way to know the type of sound card without opening the PC?
R they universal drivers?

- Collapse -
No "universal" drivers.

What can surprise some is if one shared the make/model of the PC, the forum members may hunt the likely driver for the machine. But look at your posts. Not a word about the PC. Imagine trying to work on a car with this must information.

Try this report tool -> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks Gloria and R Proffitt

Thanks Gloria and R Proffitt

- Collapse -
Audio Drivers

Win XP will help you update drivers. Right click My Computer;go to Properties and then click on Hardware. Click on Device Manager and scroll to 'Sound, video & game controllers'. Open the + and it will display these devices. Double click on your Audio and go to Drivers and then update drivers. A wizard opens and Windows should search the internet, with your permission, for updated drivers.

By locating the device using My Computer you can identify your devices and also manually search the internet for updated drivers.

As Bob Proffitt indicated, Belarc will also give you audio info as well as a ton of other info which may be helpful if you've just upgraded to XP. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

CNET Forums

Forum Info