General discussion

HELP!

I am trying to format my computer and I can't get it to start in MS-DOS. I am currently running Windows XP Pro. I have made the start-up disk, but it still starts Windows.

Any information would be helpful, thanx!

H.C.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HELP!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
MSDOS is not part of XP....

a normal format would include booting from your XP cd after the Bios has been set to boot the optical drive first.

- Collapse -

I don't have the XP disk, I just bought the computer second hand. Is there anyway I can format it without the disk?

- Collapse -
re

you can set it in bios to boot from floppy and use a boot disk, but you will lose all what os you going to use?

- Collapse -
okay....

okay, how do I get to the BIOS so I can boot from the floppy?

I'm going to run Windows ME

- Collapse -
Tip:

If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

CNET Forums

Forum Info