General discussion

HELP

I bought a HP Pavilion ze5385us about 1.2 years ago from Best Buy. Well of course the warranty is only good for one year after the purchase date. Well, My computer will not boot up now. I can cut it on but there is no action, nothing. So I took it back to Best Buy and they stated they would have to send it to the ?Geek Squad?. About three weeks later I got a call from a Geek who stated it was the ?Motherboard?. I asked what it would cost to fix it and he stated with out even laughing $700 dollars. Well as you may be able to tell I almost **** at the price. The geek stated that I could call HP they may do the repair cheaper. Next, I called 1800 whatever HP. I finally got to talk to some one in India, who I could not even understand. He stated that if I give him my Credit card # they could fix it for $269.00. I told him that I have not got my computer back from the geeks at Best Buy. He stated that I could send it when it returns from Best Buy than asked form my Credit Card Number. I told him I would call back when I got my Computer Back. After my Computer Came back about week later I called 1800 HP India again. This time they stated that it would be $269 plus what ever the cost of the part. Well I know it?s my motherboard. I asked about this and he stated a New Motherboard would cost $500 plus other cost. Now I am back to $700.00. I need Help. What can I do? I hate to trash a 1700 computer but I refuse to pay 500, or 700 to fix the damn thing. Can anyone offer some words of advice? Thanks Griffin

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HELP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You have replies and questions at...
- Collapse -
Let not your heart be troubled kimosabe....

Try reseating the video card before you ever replace a mobo. That is responsible for over 50 % of all erroneously advertised motherboard failures.

Next, test the power adapter providing power to the laptop. Also, try running the system without the battery in it as this ofter causes problems if the battery has given up the ghost.

If all of this doesn't work, you may have limited options, but it isn't time for cyanide just yet....Good luck.

BTW- For what it's worth, my Toshiba's mobo just puked on me yesterday, and I am in the same boat. In my cast, the reseat didn't work, but I have seen it work many times. Peace.

CNET Forums

Forum Info