PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Help!

My desktop started doing this intermittantly a while ago. I'd try booting again and it would eventually boot successfully. However, eventually it quit.

I recall having this problem when there was a bad Master Boot Record. Fixed it and no further problems. This time is different. Rewriting the MBR doesn't fix it.

Since it was time to clean up my HDD, I reinstalled Win XP Pro. This involved formatting the drive. Still - same problem.

I can still use the PC by leaving my XP CD in the drive. During the boot sequence I am prompted with "Press any key to boot from CD." If I ignore the prompt and let the boot sequence go on, I'll be able to boot right to my hard drive.

Any ideas??

Dell XPS 1000r
1000 Mhz
60 GB HDD
512 MB RAM

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The last full paragraph

In reply to: Help!

is normal when the CD is before the C drive in the boot sequence, an d ignoring it is correct.

I wish that you would describe the actual problem in more detail.

Collapse -
Re: Help!

MBR's don't just go bad over time. Don't hear of many MBR viruses anymore. May be ram going bad. If 2 sticks, try 1 at a time. if not, get "memtest86" from Microsoft and let it run. Download diagnostic floppy for the Hdd from the Mfg website. May be a warranty issue. May be your video card messing with your endorphins.

Collapse -

Very strange symptoms, have you tried booting to into CMOS setup and changing the boot sequence to boot from the Hard drive first, CD second and FLoppy last. See if that resolved the problem.

Collapse -

Possible that you hard drive is going.

Leaving boot cd in drive may be allowing H/D to spin up.

Knew of one system that would boot on the 3rd or 4th re-start and do just fine. Another attached on an angle in the rails would boot, lay it flat and no boot.

With the cover off, get the drive running hard by transfering large data blocks and see how hot it gets.
Drive should be on the warm side of hot. (baby bottle)
Any hotter than that the drive motor may be bad.

Bill

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.